Sharks having a go at my video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This highlights many of the things wrong with "shark tourism" IMO. Feeding the sharks is not natural and may cause out of the ordinary behaviors. Also, kneeling in the sand, sticks ready to poke at the sharks. Honestly, as much as I love sharks and want to dive with all different types (only been on dives with black tips so far) this video makes me sick. We, as divers and ocean ambassadors can do better..again, just my opinion.

I have seen sharks on lots of my dives, even shot fish in front of them. I got charged once, and that is the only time I felt like the shark was ready to take a bite out of me.

Sharks are very playful, like a dog. Very curious. if they aren’t turning sharp and fast you have nothing to worry about, in my opinion

Ha! Curious, yes. Playful like a dog, I doubt it, but would be happy to hear from a shark researcher on the subject. Any child can play with my dog all day long without anyone worrying about getting bit, much less mauled. You might be attributing friendly behavior to a shark that is not deserving of the description. Just my opinion.

How many sharks have you seen on dives?

Although I live in Texas, I do travel a lot, and usually dive on most of my trips. If you want to know where, check my profile. I have been in close proximity to @50-75 sharks, but no Hammerheads, Great Whites, Bulls, or OWTs, and I claim no expertise on sharks. My opinion is based on my underwater observations, watching a lot of videos on shark/human interaction, and lectures from, and discussions with, a diver that directs shark dives at Cocos.

They love to bump cameras. Not sure what it is, but if your shooting in a group of sharks you are almost guaranteed a couple bumps.
Yep I got bumped three times in one dive by White Tip reef sharks agitated by a feeding session in PNG... I had video lights on.

Sharks are like people some are playful some are not. I don't think bumping the lights has to do with playful but most likely with some electricity detection as the animal vision is not really that great for sure it is not mistaken for food or they would bite not bump and humans do not taste good to fish and have no scent in water

I don't see the sharks going after video lights - I see sharks waiting to be fed going after a diver who keeps pushing them away... and lots of photograpkers taking pics of this behavior - with sticks to poke at the sharks they lured in...

The sticks are not for poking, if you look they are placed vertically in front of the diver as a means of protection for divers with no camera or a small camera. I did these dives in January and there is rarely any feeding with this company, when a shark approaches the bait box the guide at the box is pushing it away so it doesn't have a go at the box, possibly injuring the shark.

It may well be that fish and dogs are at different levels, @IncreaseMyT might be onto something though, just maybe the hunting and feeding behavior that dogs mimic when playing can be compared to the feeding prelude of shark bumps.
All I know is that I'll be taking a tennis ball with me next time I dive in an area where sharks have been sighted.

It may well be that fish and dogs are at different levels, @IncreaseMyT might be onto something though, just maybe the hunting and feeding behavior that dogs mimic when playing can be compared to the feeding prelude of shark bumps.
All I know is that I'll be taking a tennis ball with me next time I dive in an area where sharks have been sighted.

Maybe you can get them to play "fetch" with you

Maybe you can get them to play "fetch" with you

Sorry, my stupid joke was a little out there, you were having a serious and very interesting discussion. I love sharks, I have a shark license plate. It's amazing how these divers can repeatedly do these shark dives and know what they can get away with. I would love to do that!! That big hammerhead with the huge fin is impressive!

Back
Top Bottom