Sharks Cove night dive.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow - reliving all those shore dives I did on Oahu! That's why I got a boat in 1989. There's enough of you guys here - you ought to pool your resources and buy an ohana boat.
If you're ever up on Ehukai, you can visit my old dive boat - I think it lives there right next to the beach park on the right by the houses there. I gave it to my local family after I left Oahu in late 2000. I learned to surf up there on the Pipeline in the winter no less, and I swam my girlfriend's ashes out there after she passed on.
Respect that Molokai Express - I got caught twice in it and had to be rescued at sea. I pulled a rescue firefighter and his rescuee out of there once on my boat too. It sure is fun on scooters though.
Cool that Nanko's is still there on Kahuhipa Street. Before I became a dive instructor and got rich enough to leave, I was a commercial fisherman. That got a little hairy going 30 miles out alone day after day - diving was way safer.
And shorediving Lahilahi Point is like putting yourself on a plate for my amakua brah.

I have a boat, just need a place to park it here. Still sitting on the Big Isle...... PARKING PLACE NEEDED!!!! Any help? Free boat dives as a finder fee.....

Tom Winters:
Wow - reliving all those shore dives I did on Oahu! That's why I got a boat in 1989. There's enough of you guys here - you ought to pool your resources and buy an ohana boat.
If you're ever up on Ehukai, you can visit my old dive boat - I think it lives there right next to the beach park on the right by the houses there. I gave it to my local family after I left Oahu in late 2000. I learned to surf up there on the Pipeline in the winter no less, and I swam my girlfriend's ashes out there after she passed on.
Respect that Molokai Express - I got caught twice in it and had to be rescued at sea. I pulled a rescue firefighter and his rescuee out of there once on my boat too. It sure is fun on scooters though.
Cool that Nanko's is still there on Kahuhipa Street. Before I became a dive instructor and got rich enough to leave, I was a commercial fisherman. That got a little hairy going 30 miles out alone day after day - diving was way safer.
And shorediving Lahilahi Point is like putting yourself on a plate for my amakua brah.

...I *used* to be the kind of nightmare mom said I should never hang out with... But I at least had the sense to sit on the beach when big Pipe was firing. Awesome that you didn't; truly awesome you let her off there too; I'll remember that next time I'm up there. On the other hand, I don't know whether to be impressed or give you some slaps for getting caught in the Express *twice*. What's your understanding of it? I mean, to me, it's the strong countercurrent running from Haunama to Sandy's that comes with a Kona swell and weather; when China Walls is really going off, then the Express probably is too. Other guys say it's the river going the other way, off to Tahiti. Of course, it could be both. A former co-worker swam that channel from Molokai (Alton Motobu) -- now that's slaps and a butt-kicking.

Nanko's been around forever; pretty sure it's named after the owner's daughter Nan (duuuhh) and '-ko' probably comes from the typical Japanese name-tag for 'child'; a friend dated her back in the 70's.

Yup, I admit deserving slaps for diving Lahilahi without a boat. That was the dive where a guy drove his boat up to see if we needed help 'cuz we were so far out (on the 90-100ft gradient).

..."rich enough to leave"...??? Given the cost of living here, don't ya mean "rich enough to stay"?

Ok, all this Hawaii talk makes me want to visit...no wait, I am...I leave tomorrow for Maui for a couple days and then to the big Island for the Aggressor...

My dream as well as 00Scuba's, is to meet Gilligan! :)

Wildcard:
I have a boat, just need a place to park it here. Still sitting on the Big Isle...... PARKING PLACE NEEDED!!!! Any help? Free boat dives as a finder fee.....

Have you checked Sand Island?..Or Keehi? you should be able to get a spot there

jepuskar:
Ok, all this Hawaii talk makes me want to visit...no wait, I am...I leave tomorrow for Maui for a couple days and then to the big Island for the Aggressor...

My dream as well as 00Scuba's, is to meet Gilligan! :)

...aah, you're from Chicago? My friend and forever classmate did his cardiology fellowship at Northwestern Memorial. Hated it -- too cold, too far from home, no sticky rice, and the cops pulled him over for speeding enroute to an emergency. Did'ya know that the expression "out in left field" probably came from Cook County Hospital? The story goes that way way back in the 30's or 40's, there were three wings to County -- I can't remember the story exactly and this may be wrong but -- viewed from the back, the right wing was orthopedics/surgery, center was admin/medicine, and left was for psychiatric. The staff residents, whose dorms were located in back, began to refer to the psych ward as being "out in left field". Or something like that.

bluemagoo:
"kitchen pass" -- n. Permission from one's spouse to attend an event or go on an outing.

Started hearing this from some military guys, along with the term "booking" which I'm positive means "moving out smartly" and originated during the Vietnam War among Marines; to "book out" was to sign transport (or discharge?) papers back for home.

lol...I already thought there was a kitchen we could rent :wink:

justleesa:
I'm from Chicago (later Rosemont)....although I do miss some things - I am sure that I DON'T miss winter.

Never had the pleasure. Chicago was always something out beyond the O'Hare terminal.

Yes Winter sucks, but it makes you appreciate the summers and warm water vacations even more. :) Rosemont is a nice area as you know...

Well, time to get to bed....my vacation has begun! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom