Shark holiday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamnid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone. Well I'm in a bit of a pickle and I need some quick advice. Me and the fella were going to go to bahamas for holidays as I want sharks and he wants wind. Best time for wind is end of March. Unfortunately flights from UK to Nassau seem to be nothing below £500 at the mo.

So I thought I'd just throw it out here and see if I got any replies - is there anywhere in the world I can go for guaranteed shark diving? I really want to see some reef sharks and some nice species and just be in the water with them. Let's not worry too much about the wind for now - I can research that later. If people could tell me the best shark hotspots that would be great!

Thanks.

Caz

Ummm, why not the Red Sea?

Natural encounters in the Caribbean? Outer Bahamas on a liveabaord.

Best canned shark dive rodeo I've ever seen is on Roatan.

Wind? What? For windsurfing? That would be Bonaire. Scratch the Sharks, though.

yes, The Bahamas has the sharks you are seeking. Best way to see them in natural environment is by liveaboard, check out Nekton Diving Cruises - Comfort, Stability, Worldclass Diving and Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving and BLACKBEARDS-CRUISES.COM Sharks are very prevalent in some areas of the Bahamas, but the best way to get to see them often is by liveaboard.

Also, liveaboards in Turks & Caicos see sharks daily. Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving

If you want to do the shark feed thing - where you sit in a circle in the sand and they chum and sharks come feed around you, then do a land-based trip to the Bahamas. Roatan has shark feed dive also, but that is probably the only time you will see sharks in Roatan.

Wind? Is the other person a diver or a wind-surfer?

robin:D

If you're not limiting things to the Carribean, South Africa has lots of sharks (no idea about wind ) and could be easier/cheaper to get to from the UK...never tried diving there though - there are a few people on the board from that region who could probably answer questions.

Sharks swarm over the sites right south of Freeport off Grand Bahama. This vis isn't so hot around there, but you can see plenty of friendly carribean reef sharks on those sites. Freeport isn't really a divers destination though. However, blackbeards does depart from Freeport now I think. If they do their checkout dives in that area, you might see sharks on your first dip in the pool.

Ocean Explorers in St Maarten offers a great diving experience with the sharks. They do it every Friday afternoon. Jeferson feeds the sharks while you watch them swim around you and over you. No cage just out there with them. It is an amazing experience. The sharks range from 6 ft to 13ft. We have done every time we dive in St Maarten. What is also nice is that they only take out 6 divers on their boat which gives us that personal touch. Also we have seen some great nurse sharks on just regular dives there. Happy Diving Celeste

Bahamas is where you want to go. Use Stuart Cove. Stuart Cove's, Nassau Bahamas diving, snorkeling, and subs. They have a shark feeding frenzy dive that you will never forget. They have photographers taking pictures of you thoughout the dive and a video you can purchase and you can bring home and show all your friends. It is the best. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

Come visit economical Mexico. For surfing and diving try Puerto Vallarta, but no guarantee of sharks. They do have Whale season Winter & Spring.

For sharks, you will definitely see Great Whites at Isla Guadalupe from Aug to Dec, but there won't be surfing. The vis is about 80ft compared to 20 ft in South Africa.

I just happened to post this thread a few minutes ago in a different forum. Its an article from Budget Traveler and a link to video.

Diving with Great White Sharks at Isla Guadalupe

Try Santa Catalina, Panama. Panama is also economical (currency is the US dollar) It is renowned for it's famous waves comparable to Costa Rica. Santa Catalina is also the gateway to Coiba National Park where the diving has been compared to the Galapagos. You will see a plethora of white tip reefs sharks, morays and tons of other indigenous species. I used to live and work there and still have lots of friends.

For diving, contact Glen at Coiba Dive Center Coiba Dive Center -  click the diver below for more information
For accomodations contact Luis Silva, a fellow surfer, and owner of the SolyMar surfcamp. Sol y Mar Santa Catalina Beach Panama, rooms for rent at santa catalina beach panama

Have a great time.

Thats all fine & well, but how about good ole North Carolina, 8-10 ft Sandtigers in a natural setting.
No feeding.
Last time I was in Wilmington there were all kinds of kite-surfers at the inlet so wind shouldn't be a problem. Try http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/
A lot closer than Mexico or the Bahamas from the UK.

Back
Top Bottom