Shark Fin Soup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right On Drew! Good move...and Swift too! Hopefully this will spread....people need to smarten up!

What is the legal status of Shark Fin Soup in Hawaii? Shark finning disgusts me. I do not approve of any one consuming such a soup or killing sharks for their fins and returning them to the sea only to sink to the bottom and die a slow and miserable death.

Once again it comes down to education. Certain cultures may approve of this because they are oblivious to the process and consequences of the practice. They need to know this is a bad thing.

Here in Maui I just heard that as many as 50% of High School students drop out before graduation. If the children don't even get basic education, how are we to expect them to know about things like shark finning, or tash vortexes, or lack of bees, dive flags or whatever??? We have many issues today and I fear that our next generation will be underprepared to handle even the simplest ones. More money for education, reduced costs of education, more teachers, better relationships in families, a caring attitude (not AINOKEA), are just a few things that may help us all and help the sharks as well.

Shark finning is illegal in Hawaii, but if you catch a shark (and keep the whole thing) there's no law against eating the fins.

while i do not agree with hunting a creature for a very small portion of its body . I do have a question. if they were making use of more than just the fin would anyone care? and do you plan to go after all the other places that serve the soup? is it illegal to sale the soup
in hawaii? so how does that work ,how does anyone detremind if the soup sold is from a shark that was killed solely for its fin? personnally i think there more important issues facing the dive community then sharkfin soup.

please tell me how many people here own or have ever owned a rabbits foot?

while i do not agree with hunting a creature for a very small portion of its body . I do have a question. if they were making use of more than just the fin would anyone care? and do you plan to go after all the other places that serve the soup? is it illegal to sale the soup
in hawaii? so how does that work ,how does anyone detremind if the soup sold is from a shark that was killed solely for its fin?

You make a good point 3000psi. However, in this case, I think it's more important to eliminate the demand before shark-fin soup becomes an acceptable menu item due to the manner in which they are now commonly harvested. The problem is that shark-fin demand far outweighs the demand for the rest of the shark. Even if the fin soup currently on the menus in Maui, Oahu, etc. were from sharks that were made full use of, the temptation would be too great for unscrupulous fisherman to eventually take the common harvesting approach; cutting the fins off and discarding the rest of the carcass into the sea.

That being said, I don't really have a dog in this fight because I can't stand seafood.:vomit: I just want to be able to see sharks in the water when I go diving in Hawaii next month and the years to come.
:sharkattack:

um excuse me?????!!!! I beg to differ sir. according to the clock on the wall its hum baby time.Go Giants!

:hijack: Oh, so you want some of this? :letsparty:

Please excuse the thread hijack. Now back to the topic. Good job in keeping the pressure on these restaurants that serve shark-fin soup.:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom