Shark Feeding Jupiter (article)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good article read and noted....did reported actually go on dive?

if you watch the video, ya the reporter dove with him.

I thought this was funny (ok, ironic) from Randy Jordan's blog
Puffer Fish

his biggest diving injury was losing a pinky to a puffer fish!

His biggest diving injury AFAIK was when he lost another finger recently. He shot a fish and a shark? took it. Or maybe the fish just took off suddenly.

The line wrapped around his finger and amputated it.

Not during a feed though as I understand it, just out fishing nearby. He posted about it on Facebook? IIRC.

Last edited:
yes my old computer doesn't do videos...so thanks for the details...

ouch! I stand corrected. Hazards of the profession I guess. Like when I worked at a lumber mill as a kid everyone was missing a digit or two.

His biggest diving injury AFAIK was when he lost another finger recently. He shot a fish and a shark? took it. Or maybe the fish just took off suddenly.

Not during a feed though as I understand it, just out fishing nearby. He posted about it on Facebook? IIRC.

He lost two fingertips that time around, and yes - it wasn't from feeding. He thought the coast was clear, shot a lone cobia, and didn't see the bull shark that hit the fish.

Interesting piece, although I had to chuckle at the "Oh my God" commentary with the lemons and groan at yet another repeat of the idiot "bull shark testosterone" fake factoid. I do think there is some level of conditioning on these feeds, although what I've noticed is minor stuff with the lemon sharks - keeping their eyes open during nose rubs, being patient about getting food, etc. The sharks do seem to have a travel schedule and stick to it regardless of the buffet; I think two of the tigers moved on at the same time they did last year and the "Lemon Ladies" were mostly down south with the boys during the winter and early spring.

Emerald Charters and Randy Jordan were also featured in the July Scuba Diving Magazine. This was also a reasonably balanced article and was probably pretty good advertising. Unfortunately, the article does not appear to be in the public domain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom