Shark Deterrent Technology: Hear the facts. You decide.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hobya! Hobya! Hobya!

Why are you yelling "hobya"?

It keeps the elephants away.

But, there are no elephants around here.

Effective, isn't it?

I dove back in the days when there were actually LOTS of sharks around and had them follow me on occasion with no incidents. Within the past few years I've even had a great white swim behind me (as attested to by my dive buddy Wyland on that dive). I still have all nine fingers. Non-hunting SCUBA divers are generally not at much risk except in certain regions of the world and with certain species (although any shark, including a nurse shark, may defend itself if provoked).

As for the great whites "attacking" from below, this may be true in many cases (mostly ones where boaters actually witness an "attack" on a marine mammal swimming at the surface. However, they also attack from behind at the same depth (as witnessed by a friend who saw a GWS take a sea lion midwater) and even from above (I've seen bite marks on the backs of giant sea bass which hover near the bottom and are eaten by GWS and probably large makos).

I like to film sharks myself, although there are some species I admit to being a bit leery around.

Sharks are animals and while I agree that kin most cases divers are safe, a predatory animal is unpredictable
I had a friend who. Owned a pit bull, it was by all accounts a gentle animal not trained to fight. My friend still got bit severely
Shark behavior can be generalized but no amount of study will make you 100 percent sure how any given shark will behave on any given day or circumstance.
So if this is the cutting edge of deterrent technology, I would buy it if I dove where shark attacks were an issue.

Seems to be the best option for now

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom