Shark concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you down in Mobile, or do you travel to do your spear fishing?

Aw, c'mon, the red tide isn't so bad. I faced it through most of the season in FL when I was working in Tampa! (My dad has a house on the water, yet we refused to stop swimming just because some dead fish were floating around!)

Most of the sharks I've seen have not been too concerned with bubbles from my reg. The one exception from my experience are hammerheads. They very noticeably swim away from you when you exhale.

Firebrand:
Not to troll or anything, but one time for the Army, I was out doing land navigation training with a buddy, and the two of us got face to face (within 15 feet) with a lone wolf. He didn't pay us any attention, and kept right on walking. I'll tell you, that's the BIGGEST canine I've ever seen!!!

Ahh, yes...the big bad wolf...

Last I checked, there has never been a single documented case of a wolf attacking a human. Anyone care to prove me wrong? :)

Interesting picture. What's the shark doing exactly? I thought bulls had to constantly swim.

Firebrand:
There are no known unprovoked (key word) shark attacks on divers, despite what is depicted in the movies. Sharks are more likely to swim away from divers because they really dislike bubbles. I have spent years skin diving for lobster in the Florida Keys, and have seen my share of sharks. I have even seen one eat a lobster my dad and I just released, but have never even come close to being attacked by one. I hope this helps.

I'm the first person to say 'dive with sharks, they are amazing creatures' but lets not throw around blatant lies - please.

We have lost a couple of divers recently in Australia, one a marine biologist who got taken by a Great White onthe surface prior to exiting the water onto his boat [no provocation involved].

Having said that [for the sake of honesty] you would be a very rare statistic to even be tasted by a shark. They can be curious but really there are only three breeds to worry about and you can easily avoid them by being informed about your dive sites etc.

Be aware that they are around, do some reading on their behaviour so you feel you have some basic understanding of their behaviour and enjoy observing them if they turn up.

Dan Pelchen:
Being a new diver, my wife has registered her concern about shark attacks on divers. I really dont hear much of this but have no good information to counter with! (she doesnt dive) Can anyone shed some credible info on this topic to ease her mind? Thanks.
I would really not concern yourself over a shark attack -- attacks on divers are rare. We run shark trips and have to work hard chumming the waters to get them to come to us. Even doing all the chumming it usually takes hours to bring them out.

Yes there is the occasional attack on a swimmer/surfer and there was the one who got the diver who was on the surface getting on the boat. These make news because it is rare and sensational.

Sharks have a lot of sensory glands in their nose so we tell our divers -- if a shark come up to you and makes you feel uncomfortable -- punch it in the nose -- it will go away. So I am telling you the same. But chances are -- you will never be lucky enough to ever see one. If you do find one in the wild -- count yourself as blessed. Most will never be so lucky.

I think I am having deja vu and have read this somewhere before ---
Kimber

Back
Top Bottom