Shark concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Pelchen

Registered
Reaction score
Being a new diver, my wife has registered her concern about shark attacks on divers. I really dont hear much of this but have no good information to counter with! (she doesnt dive) Can anyone shed some credible info on this topic to ease her mind? Thanks.

There are no known unprovoked (key word) shark attacks on divers, despite what is depicted in the movies. Sharks are more likely to swim away from divers because they really dislike bubbles. I have spent years skin diving for lobster in the Florida Keys, and have seen my share of sharks. I have even seen one eat a lobster my dad and I just released, but have never even come close to being attacked by one. I hope this helps.

Dan,
Read the good links in the other replys so you have some facts. For the most part one has to work to get to see sharks, so if you see one, count yourself lucky. Some of us actually put in that extra effort on a regular basis. Its a lot like seeing wolves and bears in Yellowstone Park. And like Yellowstone, its not the bears and wolves you really need to worry about (hence the statistics in the links).

I have been lucky enough to see sharks in 3 Western states, and 3 Eastern states, plus the Bahamas. With any luck I'll see some in Cozumel next month. And with even more luck I'll see one (or more) here in Puget Sound this fall. I do keep working at it because sharks are always special to see. ( P.S. Last time in Yellowstone I saw 22 wolves, but it took extra gear and getting up before dawn to do it.)

Soakshishead

Not to troll or anything, but one time for the Army, I was out doing land navigation training with a buddy, and the two of us got face to face (within 15 feet) with a lone wolf. He didn't pay us any attention, and kept right on walking. I'll tell you, that's the BIGGEST canine I've ever seen!!!

Don't count on the claim that sharks really don't like bubbles. I've seen way too many for that to be even remotely true. It's nothing to me to have a bull swim past me at the glorious range of 5 or 6 feet while on scuba, and they have NEVER shown any concern over my bubbles.

Plenty of divers spearfishing have had their fish eaten right off their stringers out of their hands or while clipped to their belt while on scuba. Sharks, by and large, are NOT afraid of bubbles.

Wayward Son:
Don't count on the claim that sharks really don't like bubbles. I've seen way too many for that to be even remotely true. It's nothing to me to have a bull swim past me at the glorious range of 5 or 6 feet while on scuba, and they have NEVER shown any concern over my bubbles.

Plenty of divers spearfishing have had their fish eaten right off their stringers out of their hands or while clipped to their belt while on scuba. Sharks, by and large, are NOT afraid of bubbles.
Way to snatch away his security blanket!

Naw, he needs to know the facts. It's funny, I spear fish but I never see sharks when I have fish. I always see them when I don't have any, nothing to attract them. They don't pose a problem, they're just hanging out on the site at the time. But they do aften swim by close. Prolly looking to see if I have a free lunch :wink:

Back
Top Bottom