Shark bites liveaboard guest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

He goes on and on about the incident rate of injury not going up when the shark is deadlier. However, we don't know the incident rate since some incidents may be unreported (someone mentioned that Jim and crew have had nips on them in the past). Also, equipment incidents are not tallied into this. JASA's diving is what we call statistically insignificant compared to shark diving at large. The point being, nobody knows what JASA's real safety record is.

I appreciate the guy in this video trying to keep shark diving in general from being villified and sharks themselves from being villianized. However, ignoring recklessness and negligence will just encourage more incidents in the future.

"However, ignoring recklessness and negligence will just encourage more incidents in the future"

Perhaps this might get some dive operators that offer shark dives to emplore some more safety measures . Perhaps they may modify how they handle the bait or perhaps they might put somene down there with a neptune shark suit to ensure the bait box does not open and have chum fly over the paying customers .

It is a sad event that someone died but as i told members of my family that critisize the choice of shark diving . The option to dive or not to dive is always up to the individual . the trip was booked to dive with some more aggressive sharks . it was not like he was out to see some Queen angelfish or something . The real tragedy is that medical care was not available fast enough to prevent the loss of life .

I found this to be very interesting. Take a look at post #49 on this wetpixel thread.

Apparently that person doesn't understand the difference between intentionally attracting tiger sharks and one just randomly showing up. Most carribean shark feeds are only meant to attract Caribbean reef sharks although occasionally other sharks will cruise by.

Is there anybody here who doesn't see a difference between the old Blackbeard's Bull Run dive and what JASA was doing? Or the Unexso dive off Freeport? Or Stuart Cove's dive?

He goes on and on about the incident rate of injury not going up when the shark is deadlier. However, we don't know the incident rate since some incidents may be unreported (someone mentioned that Jim and crew have had nips on them in the past). Also, equipment incidents are not tallied into this. JASA's diving is what we call statistically insignificant compared to shark diving at large. The point being, nobody knows what JASA's real safety record is.

I appreciate the guy in this video trying to keep shark diving in general from being villified and sharks themselves from being villianized. However, ignoring recklessness and negligence will just encourage more incidents in the future.
Rob has his own agenda (which I support) but which has nothing to do with this incident. He just wants to prevent a "let's go kill the shark" mindset.

Apparently that person doesn't understand the difference between intentionally attracting tiger sharks and one just randomly showing up. Most carribean shark feeds are only meant to attract Caribbean reef sharks although occasionally other sharks will cruise by.

Is there anybody here who doesn't see a difference between the old Blackbeard's Bull Run dive and what JASA was doing? Or the Unexso dive off Freeport? Or Stuart Cove's dive?

There is a difference but many customers want what JASA has to offer. In my opinion JASA is the premier shark dive. The news video that I quoted above indicated that the diver got too close to the bait and got bit on the calf. Same thing can happen with caribbean reef sharks at any other shark feeding/baiting dive. There is risk with everything we do and each have different levels of risk involved. It is up to the individual to choose the level and type of risk they are willing to accept. I don't need somebody else making those decisions for me.

When you say "old" do you mean to say that Blackbeard's no longer does this or are you saying something else? I was on a trip in 2006 where we did a dive at Bull run and I'm going back on a trip with them next month.

When you say "old" do you mean to say that Blackbeard's no longer does this or are you saying something else? I was on a trip in 2006 where we did a dive at Bull run and I'm going back on a trip with them next month.

I didn't know if they still ran that dive since they started doing Freeport departures.

[/quote]I appreciate the guy in this video trying to keep shark diving in general from being villified and sharks themselves from being villianized. However, ignoring recklessness and negligence will just encourage more incidents in the future.[/quote]

The guy in the video is Rob Stewart, director of Sharkwater. He has been diving freely with sharks for over 10 years. He has been working directly with shark dive operators for 4. If there were questionable behaviors by those operators, he would be the first to come forward with that information. I spoke to him at length when he was here in Sept about those trips and am going on the tiger trip next year. It's not for everyone, and becoming complacent about these dives might have been a factor.

It's good to hear more about what happened and it seems that there were errors on the divers and operators part. Getting too close to the bait box...well that spells trouble and unfortunately, the diver paid the highest price. That is devastating regardless who is at fault. But the hysteria over the shark dive operators is a bit much. People die or are injured severely bull riding, or cliff jumping, bungie jumping, snake rangling, etc. The point is, no one forces anyone to get into the water. We volunteer for this. Heck I volunteer to TAG hammerheads for research!

Of all the diving I have done, the joy of sharing the water with such an incredible creature and to have that encounter with it, for me that is when I find my soul and I hope I never have that taken away from me.

Happy diving and Protecting my sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom