Shark "Attack" on British Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stirling:
I didn't get the impression that the diver was complaining:

Sorry, I see I didn't state my case too well (in hindsight).

I'm not really too concerned about the diver's take on the incident. It is the media that I am not happy with. (Though I must say that he is taking full advantage of the limelight. A simple admission by him that this is part of the "fun" of cage diving would go some way to quiet the media down.)

The press have taken the usual line of the-mean-killer-shark-that-took-a-pot-shot-at-the-poor-innocent-person-who-was-totally-not-expecting-it-and-certainly-did-not-deserve-it. Their embellishments don't do sharks any good at all. While they should be going overboard doing all they can to save sharks from being wiped out, the media is doing its level best to make them out as Enemy No.1.

I just don't see this level of sensationalism with land animals/predators. When someone gets injured by a lion, it gets a sideline article. When a shark bites a cage near someone who put themselves in the situation, it is headline news.

Maybe it's the combination of the Jaws syndrome and fear of the sea itself - not knowing what's going on below the surface.

It will be interesting to see if anyone is actually sued in the end. Difficult one to fight/prove, I would think.

Cheers,

Andrew

The media is corrupt as all heck. Ask anyone in Phuket, Thailand about the media, including the BBC making up or going way overboard and distorting the truth,.

If you're driving along and happen to run over a CBS journalist, well, that'd just be a shame :wink:

ShoalDiverSA:
I just don't see this level of sensationalism with land animals/predators. When someone gets injured by a lion, it gets a sideline article.
Andrew
Maybe it would get the headlines if someone was stupid enough to surround themselves with raw meat and antagonize a lion until they attack...

scubamad:
Mine too!! They must be mad

There is nothing wrong with wanting to dive with sharks. Now....holding a dead cod in your mouth for the great white to take out of your mouth might be a little stupid.

I think the shark was only doing what it was meant to do. EAT... If the man did not want to get up close with a shark, then he should have never signed up for that trip. What did he think was going to happen...the shark was going to roll over on his back so he could pet it's belly. Yeh, that will be the day.... "Here sharky, sharky, sharky...." "Now, that's a good little shark"

murphdivers286:
There is nothing wrong with wanting to dive with sharks. Now....holding a dead cod in your mouth for the great white to take out of your mouth might be a little stupid.

I think the shark was only doing what it was meant to do. EAT... If the man did not want to get up close with a shark, then he should have never signed up for that trip. What did he think was going to happen...the shark was going to roll over on his back so he could pet it's belly. Yeh, that will be the day.... "Here sharky, sharky, sharky...." "Now, that's a good little shark"

Your name not be Leni Riefenstahl. :)

"Ms. Riefenstahl lied about her age in 1973 to be passed an official licence to go deep-diving in the Pacific Ocean. She started collecting images of the underwater beauty then, and she did not stop when a shark showed his appreciation of her by head-butting her 3 times, as documented on a TV documentary in 2002."

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0726166/bio

MoonWrasse:
LOL, then it would receive a nomination for the Darwin award :wink:
I would hope they would be the winner!

MoonWrasse:
The shark should sue for fraud :wink:
Hmmm?....I think your'e onto something MoonWrasse...Hmmmm....Chum the water with fish blood and parts ...lure in the Great White...everythings going as planned...shark goes into frenzy from blood in water...bites cage....diver freaks out...shark gets hit over the head...Hmmmm .....something's wrong with this picture...Peace...Saildiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom