Shark attack in San Diego this morning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't seen mention of the fatal attack on a surfer that just occurred in Mexican waters (yesterday I believe).

Some articles mention a "gray" shark and others mention a tiger shark...either way it's a region not usually visited by these bigger sharks...

Cheers.

-J.-

Actually some think that yellow attracts certain sharks. I know the blues we draw in on our shark dives seem to be more curious about the yellow fins some divers wear. How about the silver wetsuits the Cousteau team wore in the 80's?

Just noticed the new thread on the attack in Mexico. I don't do surface swims in the ocean (other than while diving) or surf.

This was my usual swim group (I do triathlons as well as dive). What we're hearing from the local shark expert is that this wasn't merely an exploratory bite, but the shark evidentally took 4-6 bites. I found a link recently and will post it asap. Any shark experts got input on this? Don't whites normally bite, find out it's not a sea lion and then move on?

Cheers;

Erik

Yes! Most are afraid of being hurt and will bite in order to bleed their victims out and then come back to eat the carrion! I haven't heard anything about multiple bites?

i'm still looking for the link to the article as it was written by, from what i hear, a local shark expert. it was posted to my tri group so i'm going to have to do a little digging, from what i remember this guy was saying that the 'multiple bite' method was pretty unusual.

It does sound unusual to have multiple bites like that. Maybe that explains the apparent seriousness of the wounds which seemed to be due to either the legs being taken well into the maw, or the possibility you have raised.

If the shark committed to the bite and had the legs in its maw, it may have triggered a chewing reflex! The fish will try to clear the "Throat" by swallowing or regurgitating! It must do this to keep the gills clear!

Hate this for his family and friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom