Shark attack in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lil38:
A tragedy indeed. No parent should ever have to lose a child.
Sad it is. I buried my first child, then my first nephew, and altho the reasons were medical, and I certainly sympathize with the parents, other relatives and loved ones of the poor girl.

Saw this on Aol's news...
Shark Attack Kills 14-Year-Old Girl in Florida
Surfer Describes Trying to Save the Teen From Predator
By BILL KACZOR, AP

DESTIN, Fla. (June 26) - Tim Dicus was surfing when he heard the scream. He turned and saw a girl swimming as fast as she could - and another one face down in a bloody circle of water.

Dicus, 54, paddled over to the wounded 14-year-old girl, who had been swimming on a boogie board about 100 yards offshore.

"Right next to her was the shark, about to come up and attack her again,'' Dicus said. He put the girl on his surf board and the shark - which appeared to be a bull shark about 8 feet long - went after her hand.

"He just followed us right to the beach,'' Dicus said. "He was determined to finish lunch. I hate to put it that way, but that was what he was trying to do.''

The girl was bitten on the thigh, and was taken to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, said Walton County Sheriff's spokeswoman Donna Shank.

Speaking through tears, Wendy Daigle told The Associated Press on Sunday that the victim was her daughter, Jamie. The woman had no other comment. The Gonzales, La., girl was vacationing with friends.

Dicus said he punched the shark on the nose as it tried to attack him. Two other swimmers came with a raft, which they put the girl in and towed to shore.

Jeff White, 49, of Atlanta, said his son was in the raft.

"He said at one point, the shark was underneath them,'' White said. "So they stopped paddling. Somebody distracted the shark and they brought the girl the rest of the way in.''

AP
A shark swims Sunday in the waters of Miramar Beach, Fla., less than a mile from where a 14-year-old girl was attacked a day earlier.

White said his son, Chris White, 23, told his father that "she probably may have already been gone before they got her to shore.''

The attack happened near the Camping on the Gulf Holiday Travel Park, about 45 miles east of Pensacola on the Florida Panhandle.

Patrick O'Neill, the campground's general manager, refused to comment.

Authorities closed about 20 miles of beaches to swimming shortly after the attack. It's the height of the summer tourism season along the coast and the beaches were packed with people.

"It was a bad attack,'' said George Burgess, curator of the International Shark Attack File located at University of Florida. "Certainly it was a reasonably large shark.''

Burgess, who was heading to the scene to investigate, said it was the first shark attack of any kind recorded in Walton County.

"It's not a renegade shark looking for humans,'' Burgess said. "Probably it was a one shot deal and it's not likely to attack again.''

Twelve-year-old Robert Goodwin, of St. Louis, Mo., said he was in the gulf during the attack and ordered out of the water. His father, Mark, said the family comes every year and "it was just an eerie feeling to see folks sitting there on the beach'' instead of swimming.

Florida had the largest number of documented shark attacks worldwide in 2003 with 30, according to statistics compiled by the American Elasmobranch Society and the Florida Museum of Natural History. There were 12 attacks off the coast of Florida last year.

And while I still agree that each and every lose is unfortunate, it is still a minimum threat compared to everyday events. For anyone who would be tempted to react at all to this... Excerpting from: http://www.flanews.com/august/0826Traffic.htm
3,179 people died in traffic crashes in Florida last year, the highest number on record.

dlndavid:
Very sad indeed, one reason for me not to hang out on the surface. My condolences to her family.
Dindavid-My condolences and prayers to the family as well. This will most likely go down in the statistics not as a swimming or wading event-related attack-but as a surfing event related to the attack-the number 1 riskiest event we can do in the water to provoke a shark attack year in and year out...sad, but true...Peace....Saildiver

Don.. excellent post to show comparison! Thanks for the reality perspective. Incidentally, we're on track to have the highest number of deaths in SW FL this year..

I live in Florida and I can't stand how much the media is hyping this thing up. I know the girl was killed and I am very sorry for her family. I just think it is stupid how the media is sending their people down there and making this out to be like Jaws is on the prowl in Florida. I turned the TV on yesterday and they were talking about how they had sighted a shark in the water that day. There are always sharks in the water, it’s where they live and they are part of the risk you take when you go swimming. If they closed the beach every time a shark was sighted the beaches would never open. Once again I am deeply saddened to hear about the girl's death, but ignorant media trying to get rating from the primal fears of the viewers does not help anything.

I just learned that the girls last name is Daigle & she's from Louisiana. Well, the guy sitting in the next cube from me is named Daigle & he's from Louisiana. Hasn't come in yet today, so I dunno if they're related or not. Maybe.

She was 250 ft out (alsmost a football field) so she was OUT of the surf zone. That the shark was trying to get more is the un-nerving part for me. I don't think you can blame limited vis on this attack. The shark liked what it tasted and had no trouble finding her again.

Again, my heart and prayers are with this little girl's family.

NetDoc:
She was 250 ft out (alsmost a football field) so she was OUT of the surf zone. That the shark was trying to get more is the un-nerving part for me. I don't think you can blame limited vis on this attack. The shark liked what it tasted and had no trouble finding her again.

Again, my heart and prayers are with this little girl's family.

It may be personal opinion but is 100 yds really that far out? I believe off of Ft Lauderdale Beach the bouys marking the "swim area" are at least that far out. However, I do agree it is unusual for the shark to continue the attack after realizing she wasnt a fish or other natural prey.

The observation that there are no seals in this area is correct. However...
A person on a boogie board resembles a sea turtle from below, a favorite of sharks.
If the rescuer's description of this shark's actions is accurate, this particular shark needs killin'.
Rick

I've heard the theory put forward recently that bulls are territorial. I wonder if this was some kind of territorial issue.

Rick, while I can sympathize with killing the shark, I've never understood how that's possible. All bull sharks look alike to me. Also, with Tigers at least, they tend to hit and run. Who's to say that particular shark is anywhere near that beach anymore.

ReefGuy:
I've heard the theory put forward recently that bulls are territorial. I wonder if this was some kind of territorial issue.

Rick, while I can sympathize with killing the shark, I've never understood how that's possible. All bull sharks look alike to me. Also, with Tigers at least, they tend to hit and run. Who's to say that particular shark is anywhere near that beach anymore.
I agree with you on the part where it would be impossible to kill this particular bull shark. I remember reading a while back about a string of tiger shark attacks in Hawaii that triggered a shark hunt for a couple of weeks that resulted in the killing several innocent sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom