Shark attack in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
That the shark was trying to get more is the un-nerving part for me.

Right on... gives me the heebeeejeebee's. I mentioned in the Conch thread on this same subject the article cited the surfers account as being a Bull Shark. Bulls are known to be indiscriminate biters to 'taste' something they think is food.

NetDoc:
I don't think you can blame limited vis on this attack. The shark liked what it tasted and had no trouble finding her again.

You couldn't have been more accurate there if it was a bull. Just gives me chills.....

ReefGuy:
Rick, while I can sympathize with killing the shark, I've never understood how that's possible.
I didn't say it'd be easy. Unfortunately if the witness' description is accurate then the ID on this particular animal could very well be following the next attack. Let's just hope the witness was seeing through the "fog of war" and the shark wasn't truly "determined to finish lunch."
Rick

I've just received through the rumor mill that there's been another attack at Cape San Blas. If true we may be dealing with a single tiger shark here... also if true, all sharks in the northern gulf are in imminent danger.
Rick

Bottom line it is much safer diving versus swimming & surfing around sharks. A lot of sharks prey sits on the top of the water ie, seal, turtle etc.. this is a realistic explination of the attack. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Fox still reports it as a shark attack off Cape San Blas. No details of the attack except that it happened.

robbcayman:
Bottom line it is much safer diving versus swimming & surfing around sharks.

I always found I had to surface sometime...

Rumor mill again... another teenager... in critical condition at the hospital.
Cape San Blas is about 85-90 miles East of the Saturday attack. While this is a pretty big leap and probably wrong, the time and distance fit a tiger shark cruising the coast. Also the behavior described in the first attack fits a tiger better than a bull...
We shall see. Maybe.
Rick

The news station here says:

www.nbc-2.com:
Another shark attack in Panhandle
NBC2 News
Posted on: Monday, June 27, 2005
PENSACOLA — A teenage boy was airlifted to a hospital after being attacked by a shark off Florida's Panhandle today, two days after 14-year-old Louisiana girl died from a bite to the leg from a shark.

The boy, whose age and name wasn't immediately released, was bitten off Cape San Blas and was taken to Bay Medical Center in Panama City. Hospital spokeswoman Christa Hild said. The boy's condition, and the nature of his injuries, were not immediately released.

Meanwhile, shark expert Erich Ritter says the shark that killed 14-year-old Jamie Marie Daigle was a bull shark about six feet long, based on bite size. Daigle was bitten Saturday while swimming off the coast near Destin.

Ritter says the girl was bitten multiple times, and most likely because of bait fish in the area.

Daigle of Gonzales, Louisiana, had been had been swimming with a friend about 100 yards from shore in Walton County when the shark bit her. Paramedics and an air ambulance crew were unable to revive her.

Today's bite occurred east of there off Cape San Blas. Ritter says the two cases are probably not related – just coincidental.

Crazy....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom