Shark attack in Acapulco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to surf in that area (don't ask how long ago, suffice it to say multiple decades have passed and the resort area didn't really exist). I still remember one surfing safari down there though. We were hanging just inside where the depth changed dramatically, just talking when a very large gray shape darted in to within a couple feet of us then darted back out. We bailed. Scared. Damn Jaws had come out that yr. This terrible experience makes me gratefull about how lucky we were. Of course 2 weeks later we were in the area surfing again.

Your right they don't and they haven't in my life time! Ocean temperatures in our area have not varied much for the 57 years I have been around them!

Actually, they have both up on the north central coast and down here. Look at the studies using the old transect lines at Hopkins Marine Station... definite shift towards warmer water species there over that time frame. Likewise down here in southern California. Ocean temps have increased over time (since the 1977-78 El Nino event) per Scripps Pier data and kelp bed areal extent (tweezing out the effects of pollutants, etc., in the time frame of the 1950's through early 1970's).

Sorry for the loss!
It is strange though that with an average of 5 fatal attack per year, there are this many in such a short time. I am not one to be wary of sharks. They are an amzing predator and have unfortunately been driven into their smallest corner in the 400 million years.
I am upset for the family and their loss. I have dealt with a shark attack first hand and fortunately we had great success managing the girls wound and getting her to the hospital in less than an hour from the GBR. It is not fun to see it.
I also know that these creatures are extremely intelligent and very good at what we do. It is good to see more people in the ocean now and hopefully it will not take many more years to change the minds of the masses that sharks are not out hunting for us. They explore. They move and travel large distances. They are now not only the hunters, but also the hunted.
We have killed off most of the sharks, thanks to lack of understanding and the likes of Vic Hissop.
I am sad to see another person fall victim.
I am sad to see how many sharks will be killed in his name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom