Shark Attack - Fact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to Shark Forum

I've been diving for nearly 50 years. In that time I've seen plenty of sharks... but almost all of them were 25-30+ years ago before the gillnetters and longliners got most of them. I've had close approaches by great whites, mako, tigers, blues, soupfin, leopard (not the SoCal variety), etc. Only the tiger made any attempt to really check me out as a possible menu item.

It will be a rare opportunity if you get to see a shark, treasure it if you do. For the most part the shark will either try to avoid or ignore you. Do learn the signs of possible agitation and aggressiveness for the species you may encounter in the area you're diving. If the sharks hang around, observe them for such signs. If they attack you from behind or below when you're not looking, my condolences.

When I came to SoCal and Catalina 40 years ago this summer, one of my biggest fears was encountering a great white. In all those years I've only had one pass close by once (that we were aware of). It didn't pay us much attention. I guess I'm still not as big as a sea lion.

Surprisingly enough I was unlucky enough to see nurse sharks during my first check out dive. It does happen! It annoyed me to find out later they feed the sharks in that area to promote "shark dives." Folks please don't feed the animals. JimLap is right they were not aggressive. I look at sharks much the same as snakes. Snakes generally run from you unless you step on them.

WOW- I never knew I should count myself lucky-thanks all. I only have about 50 dives and have ran into nurse sharks numerous times, some white tip reefs and even have a video of 2 large(10 footers) ones (havent been able to identify them-it was in the blue atoll in belize) swim by. I was in awe and actually, without me having much control of my facilities swam towards them (no-not chasing them, just a few kicks, until rational kicked in). I always thought I would have the opposite reaction, but I was just very drawn. I was told later there were actually 6 of them there- only saw 2, but was a great site.

Now, reading that some of you have not seen them, I feel privledged that I have encounterted them. Another highlight was running into a dolphin once-later on, upon review, I found out that I captured it on tape too-very cool.

Oh-Jim- I went through with it and finally got my "official" OW cert:)

I've been fortunate to see many sharks during dives on the South Coast of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. During the past 5 years I did 26 "shark dives" on the Protea Banks... 2 were baited dives and 24 were non-baited dives. During these dives we've seen Zambezis (Bulls), Raggies (Sand-Tigers), Tigers, Black-Tips, Scalloped and Giant Hammerheads.

All of these dives were drift dives and during baited dives one tends to be in a vertical position. From experience I've learned that there is no difference in a shark's behavior towards a diver if he/she is in a horizontal or vertical position.

Shark diving and encountering a shark underwater is all about common sense. Prior to these shark dives, the DM WILL gives a full brief on what to do and what not to do when encountering sharks. The dive operator has been operating on the Protea Banks, KwaZulu-Natal for the past approximately 14 years, doing hundreds of shark dives, without any negative incident.

I think that in countries like South Africa, with many potential shark sightings, it's important to have a shark awareness lecture as part of the OW course. In South Africa divers can enroll for advance shark awareness courses that entail theoretical lectures and practical shark dives as well. I did such a course 2 years ago with the Natal Sharks Board and it was an eye opener. The more knowledge you have about shark behavior the more relax you will be while encountering a shark... but NOTHING beats experience!!

Have a look at my Dive Report, which I've posted after my previous shark dives earlier this year:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/africa/279848-trip-report-protea-banks-south-africa.html

Stat's sometimes tell the whole story even though the incidents are few and non-lethal.

AFAIK, Hawaii non-hunting scuba divers bit by sharks since 1959 (Statehood); 3.

The species breakdown;
White Tip Reef Shark - 2 divers (photographers)
Hammerhead Shark - 1 diver (photographer)
Tiger Shark, Sand Tiger Shark, Galapagos Shark, Grey Reef Shark, Black Tip Reef Shark - 0 divers

The only recreational scuba bites have been sharks that were provoked and no diver managed to provoke a Tiger Shark. You are infinitely more likely to be bit by our most timid and safest shark than by our most aggressive and lethal shark (at least if you have a camera).
:popcorn:

If you dive enough, you'll see them and when you do, you'll know how to react. I've seen many sharks and I always feel lucky to be able to witness them. If you want to look at them as scary, well, okay, but I see them as charismatic megafauna and something that will quickly steal the show underwater.

My first couple years in Hawaii I searched for and read everything I could find about sharks in Hawaii. I have continued to read everything I have come across. Nearly 20 years have passed now and I have seen no data to refute what I remember. I will see if I can find the box of books with that data.

Don't put yourself through too much trouble. The International Shark Attack file only lists one unprovoked attack by a hammerhead, I didn't realize it was in Hawaii.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom