Shark Attack - Fact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right-there is no such thing as a controlled shark dive! Anyone who tells you they can controll a shark (still a wild animal) is lying to you. But there are many safe shark dive operators who can help you see a shark with safety in mind.

Do not act like prey

I thought this comment was actually quite appropriate. Adurso is right. Stay calm, keep the shark in front of you, and hold your ground. Don't go kicking for your life. I've seen a shark or two here and there and never had any problem, but I can imagine that a shark is a bit like a dog in that if you run from it, it may just decide it's supposed to be chasing you.

Now I've yet to run into a 25 ft great white and I'm not sure what I'll do when it does happen, but my gut tells me I'll be hugging the ocean floor and slowly making my way to shallower water or back to the boat anchor.

i see people all the time on youtube shooting cobia right underneath these huge sharks and they just swim off scared? you wouyld think the shark would turn around and bite the fish.

I think a lot depends on where you dive - in Jupiter, in Palm Beach county, for instance, there are sites its almost a given you are going to see them. And for me, its a privdlege.

Candidly, attacks on divers are rare, for a variety of reasons, and the sharks we as divers are most likely to encounter tend not to be agressive - even Carib Reef's and Bull Sharks in the case of spearfishing want the fish - they generally don't attact the spearfisherman.

I'd be much more worried if my travels put me close to a great white, or oceanic white tip!

I think sharks are on the mind of most divers - especially new, or less experienced - If I need to swim an anchor down to hook a wreck, solo, its on my mind, I'll admit.

I think its correct to address the subject, b/c its on their minds - but getting too hung up I think is counter productive - I know "you" can be the one - but honestly - how many divers are attacked and killed by sharks in a given time period - a miniscule number - I'm sure someone will correct me, but I don't recall any in the last year or so, at least in the USA.

I can't say I remember my OW class, if it was covered, nut when my wife did hers a few years ago, it was covered in class. As I remember, it was remain calm on the bottom til they clear the area, or move away slowly and exit the water. I have managed to see a few sharks, and never even the slightest of issue. Have seen 2 bulls, 1 tiger, and countless nurse. I always find it a privledge to see them.

Back
Top Bottom