Shallow fresh water accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainierblue

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a SCUBA Diving accident causing injury or death that occurred in less than 25 feet of water? If so, details? If not, any suggestions for data sources?

Earlier this summer a guy had a heart attack while cleaning a pool. I believe he was in 8' of water. He was also a veteran PSD, and did some diving in the Navy also I believe.

Most embolism cases occur in the top ten feet. Most training accidents occur in less than 25 feet.

I am aware of a student at the University of Alabama that passed away in the pool during OW training in 2007.

A few years back an urchin diver got entangled in shallow water at the boat in sight of the boat person. He struggled helplessly until he ran out of air and drowned.

Plenty can go wrong in a little bit of water.

Pete

A guy died while getting in up here. A wave came by and either knocked him down or he gulped too much water, in any event he went underwater. Due to the wave his buddy didn't see exactly what happened. The viability was poor so when the buddy went underwater he didn't see the diver.

He continued the dive in the hope that his buddy had just taken off toward the dive site. After searching for 20 minutes he came back and called 911. They found him in 6 feet of water never having inflated his BC.

People die in shallow water all the time. One inch over your nose is the same as 100 feet. If you fall on your back and trap your regulator behind you in 2 feet of water...if you can't get up you have real problems.:wink:

I've done this and survived obviously but that's not always the outcome.

There was a guy in AK in a drysuit looking for gold in the streams and got turned upside down. When the air went into his legs he was unable to right himself and drowned on the surface.

Has anyone ever heard of a SCUBA Diving accident causing injury or death that occurred in less than 25 feet of water? If so, details? If not, any suggestions for data sources?

Why do you ask?

While not technically scuba, there have been a couple of cases of people trying out rebreathers and dying in swimming pools. From the surface to 25 feet of depth is a very dangerous place, actually. The effects of changing pressure are the most intense and then there are environmental perils, such as boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom