Shallow diving at Florida Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Key Largo has plenty of dives in the sub 40' range. The Benwood is a wreck dive and you might get 50' there if you work at it. I have used Quiessence. They run 6 person boats. They also know a large number of sites.

Key Largo and Looe Key have the best diving in the Keys. Both are bucket list destinations and have the best shallow diving in the world. However, you're not going to see these awesome reefs on a shore dive: you'll have to take a boat.

As the Keys curl to the south and west, so does the reef, but not in quite the same curl. The reef gets progressively farther off shore.

A lot of new divers learned to dive going from shore. They are nervous the first time they go from a boat. A lot of new divers learned to dive going from a boat. They are nervous the first time they go from shore.

true enough.. I remember my first shore dive
A lot of new divers learned to dive going from shore. They are nervous the first time they go from a boat. A lot of new divers learned to dive going from a boat. They are nervous the first time they go from shore.
True enough, I remember worrying about getting demolished by waves and worrying about stepping on rays during my first shore dive. As a Floridian, you know that sort of thing happens... I didn't end up stepping on a ray.

Noemi, you probably will get 15 different recommendations for operations on Key Largo. All of them will probably be good operators. My Key Largo recommendation is Rainbow Reef. Rainbow Reef is very friendly to vacation divers who want shallow dives. About halfway in between Largo and West you've got Marathon. There you will find Captain Hook's. It's a good operation, and my opinion is that the reefs were easily as good as what I've seen in Key Largo. I mention it because it's a shorter trip to Marathon than it is to Largo from West. I've never dived West, so I can't recommend an op there.

Last edited:
Btw, what about a private divemaster/guide or an instructor? Do you know any good ones in the Keys?

I see. Don't have a buddy anyways, so guess an instructor or a dive operator is my best bet.
Lots of currents in those channels as well. Best to be on a boat that can go fetch you if you dive there. :D

Btw, what about a private divemaster/guide or an instructor? Do you know any good ones in the Keys?
Almost any operator can provide a private DM, for a price, of course. If you use one for a couple of dives, you will have the confidence to go out with a buddy alone.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom