Shallow diving at Florida Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noemi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going to be on vacation in Florida Keys early may. My husband doesn't dive but we agreed I am going to squeeze in a few dives while we are there.

I am a bit of a newbie, only a few records in my logbook. Mostly beach dives. Wonder if there are any shallow spots (~40-50ft max), and dive operators or private instructors that go there?

Thanks.

Just got back from Marathon, with my brother and nephew. Both are beginners with six dives apiece. Went out with Tildens' to Sombrero Reef . Nice ,shallow (>20-25') ,easy dives, even in the somewhat choppy and breezy conditions...was blown out by small craft advisory the second day, but still a great weekend...

Shallow dives are very common there.

I am going to be on vacation in Florida Keys early may. My husband doesn't dive but we agreed I am going to squeeze in a few dives while we are there.

I am a bit of a newbie, only a few records in my logbook. Mostly beach dives. Wonder if there are any shallow spots (~40-50ft max), and dive operators or private instructors that go there?

Thanks.

I've been to the Keys twice, and dived both times. Most of the diving is from boats.

Where in the Keys? The dive opportunities are different depending where you are. Many of the reefs are less than 30' deep. The wreck dives are generally deeper.

I would recommend:
- Dive Center Key West
- Captain's Corner, Key West (morning dives are deep, afternoon dives are shallower)
- Captain Hook's in Marathon
- Conch Republic in Tavernier (if you schedule early they will let you pick the destination)

I know there are many excellent ops in Key Largo but I don't usually go up that far.

I would recommend getting a copy of Franko's map of the keys, which shows both dive ops and destinations. On Amazon or you can order from Franko himself.

Hi @Noemi - have a great time in the Keys!

You don't mention where in the Keys you will be. There's great shallow diving in Key Largo, with lots of interesting fish life.

We've been diving with Rainbow Reef Dive Center (www.rainbowreef.us) for years and I would highly recommend them. All of their dives include guides, so you wouldn't have to worry about being by yourself. You'd be able to relax, enjoy your dives and have a great time - enjoy :)

My girlfriend and I dove with Key Largo Dive Center about a month ago and went to Molasses Reef. The deepest we hit was 32 feet. We went on a Thursday and we were the only two on the boat other than the guide and the captain. I highly recommend them over one of the larger boats. Great all around experience.

Most of the reefs are shallow. Rainbow Reef and Islamorada Dive Center both put guides in the water for no additional cost.... that's great for a newbie. RR has a nice website with dive site descriptions.

There are a lot of really good dive operators like Conch Republic (my favorite), Quiessece, Horizon, etc. but most don't include guides.

If you stay in Key Largp, you can easily get away for a couple of morning dives and be back in time to meet your husband for lunch

We are staying in Key West, but on the way there gonna spend a day at Key Largo.
I was thinking to do my first dive on Key Largo in the morning, then drive to Key West and do one or two more there in the rest of the week.

Thank you for the recommendations! I take it there is no shore diving, mostly boats offshore?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom