Shallow diving and pregnancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn since this **points to abdomen** is a permenantly baby-free zone but I've read number of articles that indicates you don't have to forego your love of water due to pregnancy. Apparently plain old swimming, be it laps or bobbing around, helps ease labor for many women. At least swimming could help you feel less left out of water activities if you felt well enough to do it. Good luck to you ladies trying and congrats to those expecting :D

DrSteve:
Both involve significant pressure changes and based on how often I have to clear my ears in a plane the pressure difference is a whole lot greater than 20 fsw.

You might think that is the case but the science says otherwise. The difference between being on the surface of the planet or in space is 1ATM. That's the same difference to being at 33ft UW. You can see the practical side of it if you consider at what depths you have to equalize commencing a dive. Personally I start equalizing in only a few fsw and by the time I reach 33fsw I have maybe equalized 3 or more times. These are the depths that the greatest differences occur.

Gidds - sure - actually swimming is great - I have always been a water baby! :D
still.... it's really not the same..... :wink:

Kim - the big issue (according to the DAN phone helpline) is Nitrogen absorbtion / off-gassing.

Well it turns out that Karen has suffered from severe fatigue for the last few weeks, so it is all kind of moot anyway. So I get to go diving with the likes of DennisW and Don Burke :) Karen doesn't mind me going diving, but I am trying to reduce it a little bit.

DrSteve - no ****!?! first trimester is she? she'll feel knackered until around week 12-14, and nauseous as well. 's what happened to me - as it turned out - I could NOT face getting on a boat or in the water then.

lostinspace:
DrSteve - no ****!?! first trimester is she? she'll feel knackered until around week 12-14, and nauseous as well. 's what happened to me - as it turned out - I could NOT face getting on a boat or in the water then.

Yup - she's on month 2, her energy is returning, and the nausea is much reduced. She can't way for that "glow" trimester. As for me...I can't wait wait until I can get in the water with our scuba-diver-to-be. I still have my 22inch chest wet suit and my first mask and snorkel waiting to be used again :)

yep - hubby is looking forward to that as well.:D

hmmm - I'm on week 18 and still waiting for that "glow" trimester :( but I think I'm just one of the unlucky ones... ho-hum. would rather be pregnant than not :wink:

Great attitude guys! Sure wish the best for you and your little bean...

mrobinson:
Great attitude guys! Sure wish the best for you and your little bean...

Thank you.

Congrats to you LostInSpace...just don't let the evil Dr Smith near him (or her)

We (I) are planning the walls for the bedroom now. Mummy is an artist and is planning an underwater scene :)

congrats to you as well DrSteve! :D

Walls - hah!? If I can get my darling hubby to stop fiddling with his kit (no innuendos intended) then I might persuade him to redecorate. Problem is, the "study" is going to become the baby room..... so a 6 year old den is going to need some serious rennovations! ah well - the longer he leaves it the bigger I'll be and the more he'll have to do on his own! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom