Shallow dives and nitrox availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SavetheSharks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
Trying to plan our next vacation, and we are thinking of going to Hawaii. Most of our diving has been in Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen Mexico.

Anyway, is there good diving that is not terribly deep, and is nitrox available as one of us in the group has to dive only nitrox.

We are both AOW and nitrox certified, but prefer doing shallower dives. Maybe 60 ft or so.

Totally at the beginning of looking in to this so I haven't narrowed down what island or anything. Or even what time of year. I am very open to suggestions! :)

Is the Manta ray dive in deep water?

Thanks!

Last edited:
There are many dive sites shallower than 60 feet that are awesome. Any good shop will accommodate a nitrox request with a day or two of notice...a REALLY good shop will accommodate the request on the spot. But I only know of one or two that can do that. So I highly recommend you request nitrox when you book your dives..

Many of the charters do a deep/shallow profile in the mornings. The deep dive is usually wreck anywhere from 80-100. The second dives are usually a reef at around 40-50. Some companies do have afternoon charters that do shallow/shallow. I think most of those charters are full of students. But you can still go on those as a certified diver.

The Manta Ray night dive is only 40 feet. If you have the chance to do that one, don't miss it.

Hope this helps.

Do they send a dive master on the dives like they do in Cozumel or do they send you out on your own. Would I have to request/hire a divemaster to dive with us? Do some of the islands have more shallow and easier dives then some of the other islands or is all the diving basically the same?

Any chances of seeing sharks? If there is what is the best time of year for seeing them? I would love that!!

Yes, there are dive guides on the boat charters.

I would say the 40-50 is typical for the reef dives from the boat. The shallower dives would usually be shore dives. Although there are some shore dives that can get deep as well. But if you're sticking with boat charters, plan for at least 40.

Sharks are around year round. The dive guides usually know where to find them. Most common is the whitetip.

On Maui, a lot of boat dives are shallower than 60 feet, but there are many that are deeper as well. At Molokini the diving is multi-level, so even if your group decided to go to 80' you could easily stay at 60' or shallower.

I'd say to get the biggest bang for your buck, hire Shaka Doug and shore dive. You'll definitely stay shallow and have an excellent guide to see all that is different about diving Hawaii.

Thank you all for the information. The shore diving may be a great option. We have not ever tried that. Glad to hear there is a chance to see sharks year round. Sounds like the diving is very different from what we have done so far. Also looking at Hawaii it looks like there is plenty of things to check out above water too. I just might have to do this. :D

A lot of good shore dives, whatever the island. Hawai'i in particular. The youngest island has not had time to form any barrier reefs, at many sites a 50 yard swim will get you over 40ft or deeper reef. Second dive today was spent at 30-40ft exploring caves near Black Point.

A lot of folks will do a mix of shore dives and boat dives, it does allow the budget to stretch further and provides a range of experiences. Sitting on the beach talking story with the crew is a nice way to spend a surface interval.

Living on-island we do a lot of shore diving, so many of the boat dive sites can be easily reached from shore along the Kona and Kohala Coast. The occasional boat dive is a treat, where we request sites that can not be so easily accessed from shore. Leave Honokohau on one of the Kona dive ops, and it is normal to be be moored over the dive site, 50-100yds off-shore, and wave at the folks camped on the beach.

CE22-03-11260-DC.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom