shadow divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaK-Dawg:
I'm reading an advanced copy now. Great book.

yes i also am doing that, when my uncle came down he gave me one.

Fantastic book, just finished it. What Kohler and Chatterdon did was an amazing feat. I want to thank them and all who assisted with sharing this information with us all. Thanks.

yes, it is an amazing book. i just read it too. i walked away with a lot of respect
for Chatterton and Kohler.

I just finished this book as well. It was well written, although I recommend against looking at the pictures in the middle. At that point you didn't know about Chris and Chrissy! But, excelent book and great story!

Mark

mark, just curious, have you read "Last Dive?"

it's pretty good, and it tracks Chris and Chrissy's diving careers

Hey, I just got the book like last week. It was a page turner. It was really well written too. I've read the last dive too. I have the utmost respect for Chatterton and Kohler for their perseverence in identifying the wreck and the manner in which they did it. It was an awesome read.

Thomas

I started reading this account of the finding and identification of the U-869, a WW2 U-boat, last Friday evening and finished it Saturday afternoon. As others have said, I just couldn’t put it down. It is, in some respects, an all-American tale, that of three heros on a shoestring budget who made an important exploration discovery. It reminded me of Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon Tiki trip in 1947.

The story itself is well-known. A bump on a bottom finder tracing, many difficult and dangerous dives, broken marriages, and four deaths. I was most interested in the personalities of the three men primarily involved; John Chatterton, Richie Kohler, and Bill Nagle. I have seen Chatterton and Kohler on television; after reading this book, I have a better understanding of these two men and what makes them go. Nagle was a surprise; his role in the exploration was larger than the media and the TV shows let on. This book presented his life and death in an honest and fair manner. The same is true for the other divers who died.

The writing style was quite good. Details were checked for accuracy as explained in the “Note on Sources”. The author, Robert Knudson, is guilty of perhaps overwriting. The story is itself exciting enough without over embellishment. I have one question about fact though. According to my understanding of chemistry, a mixture of helium, nitrogen, and oxygen is not flammable, as the author states on page 196. However, I am not a tri-mix diver and do not know. I once made a wreck dive off the New Jersey shore in a similar manner as Kohler’s first one (page 132) and reading about it brought back very vivid memories.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and recommend it to anyone who wants a real-life thriller and history book in one package. Divers will appreciate the work and worry that went into the undertaking, and non-divers too will enjoy it for the story. Well done!

Just got done reading it... WOW! Great job, great story, very well written. Very sad at the deaths but cheered at each success. I couldn't put it down. Thanks to Kohler & Chatterton for their attitudes about the dead seamen and doing what they did. Please give a "Great job!" to your uncle for me!

Willar:
Just got done reading it... WOW! Great job, great story, very well written. Very sad at the deaths but cheered at each success. I couldn't put it down. Thanks to Kohler & Chatterton for their attitudes about the dead seamen and doing what they did. Please give a "Great job!" to your uncle for me!

i will most centraly do that, its great to see that everyone is enjoying this book, watch out for the movie in the next couple of years they just singed a deal with 20th centry fox.

Back
Top Bottom