Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spare air, not Spare Air.

I just had my mask on my forehead today.

:lol: i should report you to the nmof crew :rofl3:

seriously, very gracious of you for answering our questions and glad that you're a member of SB. btw, loved shadow divers.

a joy reading this thread :wink:

How does the sub in SD compare with the USS Clamagore Patriots Point - Tour Exhibits - The Ships of Patriots Point - USS Clamagore (SS-343) as far as lay out and size? When I toured the Clamagore which is 400 feet long, it was fairly straightforward and had one long narrow passage. Was the U869 a larger vessel with more passages? I am just trying to get a feel in my head for what the wreck is like.

The US boats were built for the Pacific and are larger with a differing layout then the German boats. The 869 was a Type IX and if you get to Chicago you can go to the Museum of Science and walk through the U-505 which is a sister sub of the same type. You can also go up to Rhode Island and dive the U-853.

The one thing to remember about a sunken sub vs one as a museum, is that, well, they sank and have been down for 60+ year now. At a museum sub, look up, all those cables and pipes most likely have fallen down and may make a spiders web that a diver has to go through.

The U-352 and 853 have been "cleaned" up a good bit over the years (352 is very clean compared to 853), but they can still catch you.

Check out this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-england-lobsta-divahs/182520-u-853-look-inside-6.html and you will find a compartment by compartment tour that I tried to put together a while back.

Toughest question of all... painfully debilitating nose runnin hot wings or mild bbq wings... got to know...

Hot wings, smokin curry, spicy Thai, and Jalapenos. It makes my wife crazy. Only on occasion does she get to say "I told you not to."

Cheers

OMG. I bought a pair of Extra Force Fins last year. LeisurePro had them on the rack. I installed the straps and tried them in the pool a few times. Seem to work great. I just could not use them on a NJ boat for fear of ridicule. (Cap'n Zero tapes my feet every time I wear something dumb - which is often). You've inspired me. I will laminate your response and tape it to the underside of each fin.

Brutal? Nothing yet. Just you wait. :evilsmile

I have known Joey for 25 years and he has never done anything dumb, so I guess it is alright for him to pass judgement?? When you are being ridiculed, it is because they don't understand you. Feel sorry for your tormentors, for some day, they will all be wearing FF!!!

Cheers

I've just finished reading this thread. Wow!! I've read & reread Shadow Divers until the pages are worn. To get an inside look such as this, Wow!! Welcome to the Board Mr. Chatterton!

A quick question for all you "solo" divers out there. After reading "The Last Dive", do you not believe that if Chris had been accompanied by his Dad, or other "buddy", that those book cases that fell on him could have been lifted and allowed him to return to the surface safely?

It seems that everyone thinks that a buddy is only there to give you air in an OOA situation. There are so many other potential hazards that a quick assist from a buddy could solve.

I am a strong proponent for self sufficaintcy, but that along with a team or buddy, makes for a much better dive.
I have been freed from a serious intanglement. If not for a buddy, it would have been far different.

Without passing any sort of judgement on anyone, Chris & Chrissy had everything they needed to complete the dive and get back to the dive boat alive, even if they might have some Type II DCS? They could have done any number of things to change the course of what happened, and it is very easy for us to Monday morning quarterback.

The bottom line is that Chrissy was mentally overwhelmed by his situation. The entrapment, his rescue, getting lost, the fact that they were diving air, the free ascent, and the last straw of course was the torn mouthpiece shooting a small amount of water into his mouth. Although there were numerous real physical obstacles for them to overcome, by the time they were on the anchor line, the only issue was phychological. It was not about physical necessities, it was about mental focus. Chrissy just wanted out, and he felt he had to shoot to the surface regardless of the consequences. He had a good buddy, his father, which was not enough to prevent him from bolting. I am confident that any number of things could have brought about a different outcome, and I am confident that the primary lesson is that when diving we need to keep our diving within our mental ability to remain focused??

Cheers

:rofl3:Talk about John being gracious. That photo was taken at a book reading and signing at, I think, the New Canaan Library in CT. I know it was CT but not sure of the town. Anyway, I had missed getting my book signed at Beneath the Sea, I think it was in 2005. So I emailed John and asked him when he would be around again. He contacted his publisher and got a list of dates and locations that he and Richie and Rob would be at. I kept pestering him and he was always gracious with a response. I mentioned in one of my emails that I gave my mom SD to read, (making it clear to her that I do not dive like they do.:rofl3:) Anyway, she loved the book and I mentioned to John that I would be bringing her to the book reading. After their talk and during the signing, he said to me, pointing to my mom who was off to the side "Oh, that must be your mother." I found it totally amazing that he would remember that when he was so busy traveling and filming Deep Sea Detectives. I've been "accused" of being John's friend when I've come to his defense during various bashings of him and Richie that take place here occasionally, just because of that photo. I wish I could honestly call John a friend, but as it stands, I am just one of many fans of this gracious, honest and passionate diver. I truly think that all of the dissing of him comes from professional jealousy. Plain and simple.

I am flattered. Thank you.

That was also the book signing where Richie had a really, really bad back. He could hardly walk and I think it was the weekend. In the audience was a retired chiropractor who adjusted him, in the library, right then and there, as a courtesy. Good stuff just goes around.

Please give my best to your mom.

Cheers

John, I am getting back into diving after a 10 year lapse and was wondering what suggestions you may have as to getting a little older (I am 52) and the considerations of extended diving. The obvious need to maintain physical fitness is of course one, but do you find any other limitations placed upon you in comparison to earlier years? :-( Ok, ok, but we all get older :)
I loved the book by the way, and as an aside, to finance some of my new equipment I have been getting rid of my IPSC/USPSA pistols :)

Maybe I am way off but as an older diver (10 years older), you should have greater discipline and insight. I would hope you have a lesser need to prove anything to anyone else? The key to having fun in diving is being prepared. You need the right attitude, the right equipment, and the right plan. You also need the maturity to know if it is not your day, which means knowing when to sit the dive out. I would assume that you will have more fun this time around?? Don't prove me wrong or you will wreck it for me?

Cheers

I agree totally. He is a gracious good guy. I told him he was what diving was all about at the Beneath the Sea Expo in NJ two years ago and Kohller was standing next to him. He said, hey, what abut me? I said, yeah you too. John Chatterton is a Dive God to me.

I could not put Shadow Divers down once I started it.

Hey, John, thank you for your Service to the Country back in Viet Nam too.

I am again flattered, a couple of times.

Rob really did a great job on the book.

Cheers

Hey, now! You trying to stir up trouble between dive buddies? :D It ain't wise to start a feud between gals who both wear knives :wink:

Underseabumble and I are dive buddies. You can't possibly say that you would prefer her BBQ over the fried chicken I offered you on a dive to Attakulla Lodge in Lake Jocassee!!

Your fan :10:

No preference has been indicated by me in any public forum. You were possibly confused by a post where an irate poster quipped:

"Chatterton has been able to consume large amounts of both Bar-B-Que, and fried chicken. Why can't he make up his mind?"

Girls with knives are hot!!

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom