Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talking crabs? Few people who dive actually understand the effects of narcosis... fewer non divers get it either.

Spark for an explosion? A tank rupture is incredibly catastrophic. Releasing 2,000+ PSI of gasses in a confined space is simply devastating and deadly.

Last edited:
I started my post saying "First off, I'm not into diving at all", so I'm not trying to be elusive here.
I understand about narcosis only what I have read from the book.

The book specifically recalls Chatterton contemplating getting blown to bits from a blast.
Though a pressure explosion was possible, a blast, per se, was not.

I don't know, I can see him risking his own life.
To risk his partners as well, who was hovering right outside the door without a clue what was going on inside, sure doesn't speak well for his judgment if this incident is true.

Talking crabs? Most people who dive understand the effects of narcosis... fewer non divers get it either.

Spark for an explosion? A tank rupture is incredibly catastrophic. Releasing 2,000+ PSI of gasses in a confined space is simply devastating and deadly.

Sounds like a torpedo to me!

My mistake... I meant to say "Few" instead of "Most" in reference to divers understanding narcosis. I have corrected it. :D

Your ability to reason deteriorates with depth unless you use Helium in your mix. The deeper you go, the more your cognitive abilities resemble that of a cow. At depth, reasonable people are apt to do unreasonable actions: even to putting themselves and others in grave jeopardy. Many things can be done to ameliorate this predisposition, but you can never truly eliminate it. The most dangerous diver is the one who can not see or accept their own narcosis and thereby make no allowances for it.

Though a pressure explosion was possible, a blast, per se, was not.
It;s a pretty narrow definition of "blast" you are using... Look at the first entry from Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

blast   /blæst, blɑst/ Show Spelled[blast, blahst]
–noun1. a sudden and violent gust of wind: Wintry blasts chilled us to the marrow.

Although it includes an incendiary device in one of the definitions, that is not the primary definition (or cause) of a blast. Think "Jaws", although a bullet could not cause such an explosion. :D The best I can discern, it comes from the Middle English word for "Wind Storm".

Ok, regardless of dictionary definition, it was a truly reckless act that I am convinced was an embellishment.
To so callously disregard his own safety as well as his partners would seem to fly in the face of his military medical training, which was trumpeted up throughout the book.
Cannot be explained by narcosis, since he was using trimix.
It happened at the very end of the story, seems to me that the author simply wanted to end with something unbelievable, simply swimming out of the room with the tag wouldn't do, so he came up with this.

Probably will never be known if it did happen, as either confirming or denying would put Chatterton in an uncomfortable position.
Confirm it, he admits to having reckless, callous, even suicidal tendencies.
Deny it, he admits the author took creative license, which would call into question the whole work.

If someone did in fact explore the room before, without having to de-tank, that right there is quite an omission, and would suggest that the author didn't want to let little things like facts & details stand in the way of his storyline.

Ok, regardless of dictionary definition, it was a truly reckless act that I am convinced was an embellishment.
To so callously disregard his own safety as well as his partners would seem to fly in the face of his military medical training, which was trumpeted up throughout the book.
Cannot be explained by narcosis, since he was using trimix.
It happened at the very end of the story, seems to me that the author simply wanted to end with something unbelievable, simply swimming out of the room with the tag wouldn't do, so he came up with this.

Probably will never be known if it did happen, as either confirming or denying would put Chatterton in an uncomfortable position.
Confirm it, he admits to having reckless, callous, even suicidal tendencies.
Deny it, he admits the author took creative license, which would call into question the whole work.

If someone did in fact explore the room before, without having to de-tank, that right there is quite an omission, and would suggest that the author didn't want to let little things like facts & details stand in the way of his storyline.

You seem to have some strong assumptions upon which you've made some suppositions and then drawn conclusions - for someone who's not a diver.

Or is that you, Gary?

:shocked2:

Just paragraphs later, he ends up passing the parts box through the same hole, so I didn't quite get why it was such a problem to pass out the camera, but very easy to pass out the box out the same hole.

As you've mentioned you're not a diver, I thought this tutorial might help:

Your idea of a camera:

Fuji-F60fd-holding-front-375.jpg

Our idea of a camera:

DouglasSeifertSol2.jpg

Any questions?

:cool2:

You seem to have some strong assumptions upon which you've made some suppositions and then drawn conclusions - for someone who's not a diver.

Or is that you, Gary?

:shocked2:

Seems to be a hobby with a few of ya, labeling everyone who doesn't perfectly agree with you "Gary".
Instead of that childish tack, hows about picking apart my strong assumptions and subsequent suppositions, and let me know why you disagree ?

You don't question the judgment and/or rational of a person who would go banging on an oxygen canister to get a tag ?
Everything in the book points to just the opposite of his character.
Safety first, utmost concern for the welfare of those around him, meticulous planning and execution a hallmark of his entire life ,, And he just loses it right at the end, and risks his life and Richies to get the tag ?
Sorry, but that does not compute - And combined with the apparent fact that someone had already been in that room and it was not even mentioned in the book, it all points to building a dramatic conclusion.

None of which takes away from the book being over all enjoyable.
It seems beyond doubt that John & Richie were the prime movers in the whole thing, it was their passion and persistence that led to the subs positive ID, and their research and contact with family members was top notch.
I also think the circle runner theory is the most plausible.
Our top scoring sub in the Pacific, USS Tang, sunk itself in just such a fashion ,,, And, as there were survivors, it is beyond any doubt what happened.

There ,, Does that sound like something Gary would say ?

[BTW, I highly recommend anyone who hasn't read about the Tang, to read up on it.
About 20 guys survived. 6 or so, including the captain, were blown off the bridge and picked up by the Japs the next day.
The balance of the 20 escaped the sub from about 200 ft down, using the primitive breathing apparatus for such emergencies. Not all who escaped survived very long, as I recall, at least 2 didn't decompress properly, and died soon after reaching the surface.
1 guy said he didn't make any stops on the way up, and felt just fine on the surface.
Another guy grew delirious and thought he could swim to China [which was about 30 miles away from their location], took off swimming, and of course was never seen again.
Pretty sad tale, well worth the read especially for divers, and anyone with an interest in naval history.]

Sorry, but that does not compute -

Unless you've "been there" you wouldn't understand why he'd have "done that."

And combined with the apparent fact that someone had already been in that room and it was not even mentioned in the book, it all points to building a dramatic conclusion.

Fact? Where'd you get that as "fact" from?

Back
Top Bottom