SFO October 24/25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear NorCal members,

I have a whole day of work meetings near SFO on October 26th and was hoping I would fly from CLT (Charlotte, NC) on Saturday morning instead. Giving me potentially Saturday afternoon and/or whole Sunday to do some diving somewhere around SFO.

So I am looking for someone (or a small group even better) to dive with.

Little background so you can make an educated decision if you want to dive with me or not. Got OW cert in June of this year. Have 58 dives so far behind me. Some Atlantic boat dives in the Carolinas and rest is quarry diving. Finished my PADI Rescue diver course 2 weeks ago and have all the requirements for MSD. I dive a recreational setup with 7mm wetsuit but I do have a long hose system because I find it makes more sense.

Anyhow, I will have a car rental and can bring all but tank(s) and weights (integrated BC so any weights should do). I would need to borrow or rent tanks and weights there.

Hi Iztok,
I don't know of anywhere around SFO to dive, though if you drove a couple hours south you could dive in Monterey, I would be happy to be your buddy there on the 24th. Most diving is best done early here, starting anywhere from 7-9 am. Definitely different from a quarry and Monterey is beautiful. Maybe the North Coast or North Bay people have some better ideas for you, not sure how close the North Coast locations are to SFO.

Last edited:
IIRC correctly you dont want to really be diving in SF this time of the year as its when the great whites are in the area for mating.

Monterey is worth making it down to but will be a little driving.

I don't mind driving. But I can't get there Saturday morning as my plane arrives around noon. However if we can do it Sunday morning it is even better. Have car will drive.

As long as I can borrow or rent some tanks and weights and can dive in 7mm suit I am in. I would appreciate anyone who wants to dive with me.

Is shore dive difficult? I had hard time in LA due to no experience with surf entry so I ended up not diving that night.

I am open and 2 hr drive is no problem.

Pleanty of shops around here to hook you up with tank and weight rentals. If you need shop suggestions you can PM me and I can give you a list.

Shore diving isn't difficult, but as far as surf entry that depends on the site you go to and how bad conditions are. I was hoping to dive this weekend but the conditions are no good so I am passing, but you can always consider a couple boat dives too.

I would suggest however if you aren't used to shore diving don't try your first few with added challenges. Surf, night, etc. I can't commit to Sunday dives, as right now Saturdays are best, but good luck finding a buddy. Also keep in mind if you can't find a buddy most shops down here have DM's available for tours as well.

I can do Sunday mornings, you'd have to be on the road at 5 am though, although if you're still on east coast time, shouldn't be too big a deal. I have 57 dives, AOW cert. and am familiar with shore diving in Monterey. You would still have to rent tanks and weights, I have to rent tanks and only have 6 lbs of spare weight.

I would not mind considering boat dive either. Or getting up at 5am. Basically as long as I have someone (or a group) to dive with and I get to dive a new site I am game.

Not sure what to expect on shore dive or boat dive there. Any suggestions are welcome.

I think a boat dive would be a nice treat for you. Show you the best that the Monterey area has to offer. Monterey Express, Beach Hopper II, Cypress Sea are all charters I have taken. Cost is around $80 and they supply the tanks.

Do read:

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/newmontereydiver.html
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/kelpdiving.html

What kind of 7mm wetsuit? A single 7mm layer probably isn't going to cut it in 50F
water. I've got friend who retired here and move to NC, and he considers it warm water
diving.

I think your best plan is to get a motel room in Monterey for Sat. night, and drive
down right after you arrive. I'd recommend the Lone Oak. Lots of divers, nice rinse
tanks, and it's OK if you come back Sunday afternoon and rinse your gear. Call them
direct and ask for the diver discount.

If your flight gets in at noon, you can get to Monterey and visit the Aquarium. They may
have funny hours that weekend because it's their 25th Anniversary gala ($2000 a plate!).
PM me a week and a half before you fly -- I may have a free ticket for you (to get in
the door, not the gala).

I can't stay in Monterey, I have to stay near SFO for business so I will have to drive.

I am not familiar with the concept of rinse tanks. Is this something charter offers or hotel or any other access?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom