Severe sinus infection a few days after diving. Tank? Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TechDeep

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have probably the most severe sinus infection that I have ever had in my life. I don't mind admitting, it took a big man down.

My doc said I got some bacteria in there somehow. The incubation period coincides with a weekend of a lot of diving. I did notice an unusual amount of dryness in my throat and mouth, but I attributed it to the fact that I haven't used the regs I used this weekend much.

The regs had sat for a while, and the tank is due for a visual. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Bacteria from the regs or tank? I'm going to tell the guy doing the visual on the tank about this, and I will get the regs serviced also.

Any advise, experience, information about this would be much appreciated. This stuff is nasty, and I'd rather not go through this again if I can help it.

Or the water?

This is probably the best comment ever. It could be followed with ... "duh"

seriously tho... I just picked up an older HP80 steel that I think is giving me similar symptoms. I had it hydro'd and whip cleaned out most of the flashrust out and have been using it in the pool for training sessions. I thought I noticed extra dry and sensitive nasal areas after the first few uses but never thought much. This weekend I spent a total of 6-7 hours in the pool using the tank and Ive had a runny nose ever since.. I will be tumbling the tank soon.

Shcubasteve - thanks for the response. I should have added that I have over a hundred dives in this quarry, and nothing like this has ever happened to me after diving this quarry. So, I guess this is why I was doubting that it was the "water." As I said, it was the first time I had used these regs and this tank in quite a while. Doc says the bacteria came from somewhere, and I was simply looking for similar experiences. I appreciate your response. This is my only steel tank, so I'd like to keep using it if I can, but I've never had a sinus infection this bad, or heard of any other diver getting one this bad.

My doc kept saying my infection was from diving too, but when i told him i did not dive for a few months over the winter, he has no answers. It can be from anywhere? toothbrush/gardening/gust of wind with the right stuff.

Quesiton? can bacteria live in a dry tank? what food supply? I can the the reg having bacteria.

Quesiton? can bacteria live in a dry tank? what food supply? I can the the reg having bacteria.

That would be my question. I doubt it would survive in a dry tank or reg given that it thrives in the dark moisture of one's sinus cavities.
I would guess the OP just happened to be exposed to someone else with a viral or sinus infection while on, or in transit to the dive trip.
In my experience, a bacterial infection usually follows a viral infection.

That would be my question. I doubt it would survive in a dry tank or reg given that it thrives in the dark moisture of one's sinus cavities.
I would guess the OP just happened to be exposed to someone else with a viral or sinus infection while on, or in transit to the dive trip.
In my experience, a bacterial infection usually follows a viral infection.

Now that makes sense. I remember doc saying it must be viral after testing me for strep and the flu. The tank is in for visual now, so we will find out if there is anything in there that shouldn't be, but it has never been below 500 pounds since the last visual. I thought maybe something could have been these regs since they had sat for so long, and I've never used these in the pool, which I assume would have killed any bacteria.

I'm just trying to make sure I get this figured out. This infection has had me down for the count for three days now. Thanks for the responses.

Well, if your regs are not environmentally sealed it is possible some bio-matter got in an made its way into your throat. A metal surface is fairly hostile to bacteria, especially if there is not moisture, so it is fairly unlikely the tank had anything to do with it. The most likely scenario is something in the water making its way into your throat and working its way into your sinuses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom