Several reasons why I do Trip Insurance for all International trips, and some others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I usually use: TravelSafe | TravelSafe Vacation Plan so let's use their coverage and my recent big claim for an example....

1: $100,000 Medical coverage: My medical insurance does not cover me outside the US. For others, even if yours does - will it contact the local medical facility and make guaranteed arrangements, or just reimburse you later if you can afford the payments at the time and file all the needed forms. I know that my DAN coverage includes $1 Million emergency medical evacuation and other benefits in the Trip Assist included with membership but not direct medical coverage. There is a redundancy to the emergency medical evacuation of the two coverage, but I kinda like that and doubt that it runs my insurance costs up. If I need to get back to Houston or Miami for medical needs, I don't want to have to deal with details - I want it done, and I have seen that happen twice in the last year. Those two cases were Dive Insurance covered, but many medical needs are not regardless of how invincible you think you are. (Wanta hear my DVT/clogged vein story again? I was lucky it happened to me in Texas and not on a dive trip to some distant site.)

2: Emergency evacuation for other reasons: When we had to evacuate Cozumel with hurricane Dean still headed our way, I was able to get Continental to "accommodate" me with a no charge change to a flight sent down just to pickup customers wanting to leave, but that took over an hour in various phone calls direct back to Houston, and most of my group had to pay American extra to get out - the last one in our group to book an extra $900.

Or when I was one Roatan Sept 11, 2001, after a few days of wondering when the planes would fly again and how, I almost had to stay an extra week - did end up returning a couple days later than my planned return, but those expenses were reimbursed by the insurance.

3: Baggage and Personal Effects: $2,500. From Contiential.com....
For most international travel to which the Warsaw Convention applies (including domestic portions of international travel), Continental's liability is approximately $9.07 per pound up to $640.00 maximum per bag for checked baggage and $400.00 per customer for unchecked baggage. (If you check 2 - 50# bags, they're covered for $907 max, with other limitation and exclusions. DD)

For most international travel to which the Montreal Convention applies (including domestic portions of international travel), Continental's liability is approximately $1,375.00 maximum per customer for checked and unchecked baggage. (Even tho that's more, I don't know which applies to which trip. I guess I could call to ask, but it'd still not be enough. DD)

DAN Diver insurance covers my equipment for diving accidents, but what if the boat sinks - which happens, or the hotel porter loses my bags - which I have witnessed personally. I'd much rather file a claim to my trip insurance than to the dive operator or hotel in another country.

4: Airlines and Operators have other problems, even stop operating. Begging other airlines helps with plane tickets sometimes, but I like more options than that if any of my carriers and vendors don't deliver for what I paid.

5: Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation - Up To Trip Cost; Post-Departure Trip Interruption - Up To 150% Of Trip Cost: Family members get sick and so do I, homes get hit by storms and other disasters, etc. I could go on and on, but for brevity - let's just say "Caca Happens!"

Now this point can vary as to whether how I am booking. For last years Cozumel, Cenotes, Holbox trip I booked a package with one vendor who took care of all the trip details other than air - but it was all or nothing if I had to cancel, other than the plane ticket I could have canceled with only a $100 loss on future use. I could have covered $1500 for $85 or $2,000 to include the whole plane ticket for $118 - I went for the latter, but that's coin toss nearly.

I'm going back to recreate the planned trip this year, upgrading some hotel and operator options, even adding an extra day of diving and a hotel night. Even at that, I am saving a few hundred handling three different hotels, three different operators, and a car rental, but the question now is what would I lose if I had to cancel? $100 on plane ticket for future use plus a few deposits I'm splitting with my bud: $500 would really cover it for $40, but I think I will include the full cost of the plane ticket and go for $1,000 coverage for $50.

Okay if you have read closely this far, how can people spend - in this example - $2,000 on a trip, booking several months in advance with all the various possibilities that life can throw at us mortals, often even taking advantage of discounts offered in hurricane season, then skimp on $40 to $118 in comprehensive trip insurance...?

There were 16 in my group who escaped hurricane Dean and I'd been thru much of this with them, but half of them did not take the coverage - all of those paying several hundred dollars extra to get out, and still arguing with the vendor on what they might get back on the package they lost. The one in our group who had to pay an extra $900 to leave was uninsured, but she never will be again - wasn't when she went back since.

DAN also gives you very cool stickers. You forgot that part.

Otherwise, nicely stated, Don.

I agree. If I am going out of the country and spending thousands of dollars on a trip, I want trip insurance. Who can tell if there isn't going to be an uprising in a country after you get there and you can't leave? or all planes are grounded for an time (like 9/11)? or some diving incident that may mean you have to be sent to a hospital closeby or even air-evac out? A few more hundred dollars for insurance isn't that much and you can sleep better your whole trip knowing you have it, just in case.
Everyone should have DAN insurance, Preferred Plan is best, too.

Okay if you have read closely this far, how can people spend - in this example - $2,000 on a trip, booking several months in advance with all the various possibilities that life can throw at us mortals, often even taking advantage of discounts offered in hurricane season, then skimp on $40 to $118 in comprehensive trip insurance...?

There were 16 in my group who escaped hurricane Dean and I'd been thru much of this with them, but half of them did not take the coverage - all of those paying several hundred dollars extra to get out, and still arguing with the vendor on what they might get back on the package they lost. The one in our group who had to pay an extra $900 to leave was uninsured, but she never will be again - wasn't when she went back since.

But how many trips have they taken in their life and how many times have they had major problems like this? You can't just take one messed up trip, note that the insurance cost $100 and covered $1000, and conclude it's worth it. Insurers sell these policies because they are highly profitable - the premiums far outweigh the claims.

I think it really comes down to knowing your own personal risk factors. If you or loved ones are prone to health problems, if your work often pre-empts your vacation/weekend plans, if this is that once-in-a-lifetime exotic vacation, etc. then maybe you need trip insurance. Personally, I could get wiped out of my next 3 or 4 trips and still be ahead for all the premiums I saved.

Antarctic Treaty freezes claims, the USA and many other states do not recognize these territorial claims and have made no claims themselves. According to the the USA, Antarctica is neutral. Is Antarctica always valid for the insurance TravelSafe?

I think that DAN is more sure than TravelSafe.

Pretty easy actually. I have separate medical coverage (A loss I might not be able to afford) and in about 30 trips in the last 10 years neither my wife nor I have had any problems. Using your cost numbers, that is a cost avoidance of $2400 to $7000.

Insurance is a lot like gambling. The odds are against you and in favor of the house (insurer). With some travel insurance, it may be like 2 to 1 in favor of the insurer. In the same way that I do not gamble with $$$ I can't afford to lose, I don't vacation with money I can't afford to lose. Unless you are just the unfortunate sort, I see no gain in insuring against disappointment and affordable difficulties.

DAN also gives you very cool stickers. You forgot that part.

Otherwise, nicely stated, Don.
:11: Wow?! I don't think I have ever seen YOU agree with one of my post so well. TY. Framing that. :D
But how many trips have they taken in their life and how many times have they had major problems like this? You can't just take one messed up trip, note that the insurance cost $100 and covered $1000, and conclude it's worth it. Insurers sell these policies because they are highly profitable - the premiums far outweigh the claims.

I think it really comes down to knowing your own personal risk factors. If you or loved ones are prone to health problems, if your work often pre-empts your vacation/weekend plans, if this is that once-in-a-lifetime exotic vacation, etc. then maybe you need trip insurance. Personally, I could get wiped out of my next 3 or 4 trips and still be ahead for all the premiums I saved.
Yep, I agree - in theory. The group leader for the Mexico trip given in the example doesn't do trip insurance for the 20 or so trips a year she takes. I doubt that RoatanMan does either, even tho he supported my post; he'd just consider it part of the adventure. Still, I think my suggestions are valid for the vast majority of the cyber divers who will possible read this. So often they join Scubaboard only because they have an approaching trip for a location in the path of a storm and want our help then. Collision car insurance is the same; overall a bad idea if you paid for the new car outright, but still - good for the peace of mind. RobinT is an experienced traveler, but she still knows the value here.

In practice, the group leader mentioned who does 20 or so trips a year without coverage still whined when she had to pay extra to escape. And seven months later, we're still seeing crying from those other seven on the trip who were not insured, etc.

Antarctica...? :silly:

Collision car insurance is the same; overall a bad idea if you paid for the new car outright, but still - good for the peace of mind. :

Collision insurance is good for most folks who can't afford a $10K to $40K loss. Then, as the car gets older and the value drops, most folks drop their collision insurance.

Unless you are a risk anomaly, self insurance is cheaper in the long run as long as the losses are not financially prohibitive. but if this is what one needs to get peace of mind, then that is an intangible value that is not parts of the cost benefit equation. If in makes you sleep better, then by all means feel free.

Yep, I agree - in theory. The group leader for the Mexico trip given in the example doesn't do trip insurance for the 20 or so trips a year she takes. I doubt that RoatanMan does either, even tho he supported my post; he'd just consider it part of the adventure. Still, I think my suggestions are valid for the vast majority of the cyber divers who will possible read this. So often they join Scubaboard only because they have an approaching trip for a location in the path of a storm and want our help then. Collision car insurance is the same; overall a bad idea if you paid for the new car outright, but still - good for the peace of mind.

I'm not saying trip insurance isn't for anyone in any case but your analysis is flawed. You can't say $50 for $1000 is a good deal because it pays for itself if something happens 1 in 20 times because your potential loss isn't necessarily $1000. You were hitting on this when you calculated lost deposits and change fees.

I also question your judgment in calculating risk. You could pay $85 to cover trip less flight or $118 to cover trip with flight, and you chose the latter while stating you could change flight for $100 (a fee that can be waived in some cases). So you paid $33 to cover a potential loss of $100? You would have to be getting wiped on 1 out of 3 trips for that to make sense, and I doubt you could achieve that bad luck even if you waited for a hurricane to form then went out and booked a trip in it's path.

The purpose of insurance isn't for "peace of mind", it is to cover losses you cannot afford. Not many could take a loss on ther their brand new car and just go out and buy another one. As awap mentioned a vacation should by definition by a loss you can afford. In fact, you're not losing money if your trip is cancelled for you had already decided to spend it, you are losing the pleasure you had expected to get for it.

Back
Top Bottom