Seventeen Years Today Oct 12.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mortality / morbidity rate is significantly higher for recreational divers than for technical divers. This has to do primarily with the small amount of training that rec divers get AND that they are for the most part inactive divers. (less than 10 dives a year) You might want to look at the annual DAN report on accidents. These reports are usually with data that is 2-3 years old but it takes that long to compile it.

Cheers
JDS

Really? I mean I'm sure there are more total deaths in rec, but also many more participants. It seems from looking at dive accidents, a large number are deco, cave, and rebreather. There are also a lot of recreational ones, but way more people participating. Do the DAN reports take number of participants into account?

Thanks so much Thanks with deep respect for mentioning the ones who died doing what we love and the ones that have died. A good friend of mine Cpt.Harry Shaffer , a diver in the movie "The abyss" ,I new and loved him before the movie,would say when we got back to the boat, in the keys ,"we've cheated Death,One more time" that was already 22 years ago. It is good to remember what Jim Morrison said "nobody gets out of here alive' and i'm getting my kicks before this whole ### goes up in flames". My fondest memories are of 5 weekends off the coast of Manasquan with Capt. Haines.WOW 29 years ago. Me with a single tank no reserve ,a new England shore diver, on 130 ft wrecks. I was wondering what all that equipment everybody else had was about. I just new i was hanging with a different breed of people ,adventurers, who i immediately liked and miss till this day. if it wasn't for those experiences with Cpt. Dave Haines on those wrecks. I wouldn't have a clue. Every instant of every day is a blessing because "we've cheated Death,that instant, just one more Time"
Thanks

Hey Joel,
Just to let you know that I appreciate the post.
On Oct. 20, 1993 I lost my good friend and Brother in law. He died doing what he loved best - Diving. He was one of these young and fearless types who would try anything and was just entering into Technical Diving. It is my opinion that it was peer pressure as much as it was extreme narcosis that lead to his death.
I read the novel 'The Last Dive' and it brought back memories.
Every time I dive (and I dive a lot) I think of my brother in law and it helps to keep me in check.
Always realizing my limits, always thinking of what I'd be leaving behind (family & friends).
Thank you for your post...
Dan

Wow sorry to hear about your loss Dan. Reminds me of how fortunate i was when no one mentioned my single tank, one reg, no air backup, no dive buddy, 130 foot wreck Dives off Manisquam new jersey Absolutely Dan. He was Living "doing what he loved best"

To close my eyes is to be at sea
This dream lasts all day to me
One day is like twenty years at sea

That if I would,
I would stand immortally at sea
Hoping for eternity at sea

Wonder covered sea
I would bless the shore
And leave to be once more

Out at sea to sail
And stand upon a ship and sway
Listen to the creak of the wood, and say