Seven Seas or Ondina in Komodo or Alor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going back to Indonesia next summer and have been looking at these two boats. I've seen a number of reports on the Ondina in Raja Ampat and at least one on the Seven Seas, but I'm wondering if anyone has dove with either of these boats on their summer itineraries in Komodo or Alor. On our last trip there, I felt as though we missed some of Komodo's better diving because the operator lacked local knowledge. So I'm particularly interested in how well these boats know the area. I'm also interested in any reports on Alor diving as I haven't heard much about it.

Hey Reuben

They are both good boats but the part of your question that sways me is regarding local knowledge of the Komodo area.

Ondina is more of a Raja Ampat boat. The Seven Seas knows both well and certainly knows the Komodo National Park well. Mark Heighes is often the tour leader and if not Stew Esposito will be and they both know Komodo like the back of their hand. Tommy, the lead DM, is also a master of these waters so I would definitely recommend the Seven Seas in Komodo.

I did a trip with them which is here: Seven Seas trip

OnTheSpot:
Hey Reuben

I did a trip with them which is here: Seven Seas trip

Thanks. Great report. I know some of the Komodo boats aim for 3 or 4 dives a day, others for 4 or 5. Can you tell me what the schedule is like on the boat?

"both know Komodo like the back of their hand"

I have dove both Komodo and Raja Ampat with Grand Komodo Tours http://www.komodoalordive.com/ . Grand Komodo pioneered the diving in the Komodo area. I have spent 32 days on their boats and highly recommend them. dawhale

reubencahn:
I'm thinking about going back to Indonesia next summer and have been looking at these two boats. I've seen a number of reports on the Ondina in Raja Ampat and at least one on the Seven Seas, but I'm wondering if anyone has dove with either of these boats on their summer itineraries in Komodo or Alor. On our last trip there, I felt as though we missed some of Komodo's better diving because the operator lacked local knowledge. So I'm particularly interested in how well these boats know the area. I'm also interested in any reports on Alor diving as I haven't heard much about it.
Hi Reuben,

if you want, u can inquire this to our non-profit Kapal Selam Dive Club www.kapalselam.org , we had been diving in Alor, Komodo, Raja Ampat and everywhere in Indonesia. Also been on the boat SevenSeas, Grandkomodo's vessels, Seasafari's vessels and others.
Your question might be answered by different members depending on who were the organizer of that particular trip.

Cheers,
Acuan
Kapal Selam Dive Club
www.kapalselam.org

Hi Reuben. Number of dives a day. I think it all depends on the group and we were doing 4 a day with a few night dives here and there as we wished. It seemed very much that they would do as many dives as we, as a group, wanted to do (within reason).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom