Question 14 days of diving in June, any suggestions on where to go and how should I split my time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eckoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After factoring in transfer times, I have roughly 14 days of diving available later this summer. I've already dove in Komodo, Raja Ampat, and Nusa Penida. As of right now, I'm thinking of splitting my time between Komodo, then flying to Alor for the other half. I was thinking Komodo at first because when I first dove there, it wasn't the right season for the northern sites like Cauldron, Crystal Bay, Castle Rock, etc., so I feel as if I'm missing a huge part of the Komodo experience. Alor seemed like the next best option and a crowd favorite that I haven't dove yet, and it's easily flown from LBJ > KOE > ARD on a single flight ticket.

I prioritize fish activity and reef health in my dives, and could skip out on anything macro or muck. Any other suggestions on where I should go or how I should allocate my time?

We had a great trip to Bali, Alor and Komodo last year. Cauldron/shotgun was so fun we decided to do it twice.
Alor I loved - especially Alor divers. So relaxing.

I’d say say more time in Alor and less in Komodo. You will be able to dive all those northern sites and more within 4 days land based easily while doing 3 dives a day. The shops are on a weekly schedule and they know which sites they’re going to each day, generally. It’s subject to slight changes given conditions and weather but you can pretty much map it out. You can even mention the sites you’re particularly interested in and they will help you optimize your time. I suggest a dive shop that has speedboats instead of the slow boats. (Blue Marlin is one.) You’ll beat everyone to the dive site and avoid crowds and will be back before everyone else so you can enjoy downtime back in Labuan Bajo with a head start on happy hour, showering, relaxing, dinner sooner. :)

Spend the rest of the time in Alor. I was there for 8 diving days last time and it was not enough! I didn’t even get around to muck. That was just the wide angle. I could easily spend 14 days + there.

I’d say say more time in Alor and less in Komodo. You will be able to dive all those northern sites and more within 4 days land based easily while doing 3 dives a day. The shops are on a weekly schedule and they know which sites they’re going to each day, generally. It’s subject to slight changes given conditions and weather but you can pretty much map it out. You can even mention the sites you’re particularly interested in and they will help you optimize your time. I suggest a dive shop that has speedboats instead of the slow boats. (Blue Marlin is one.) You’ll beat everyone to the dive site and avoid crowds and will be back before everyone else so you can enjoy downtime back in Labuan Bajo with a head start on happy hour, showering, relaxing, dinner sooner. :)

Spend the rest of the time in Alor. I was there for 8 diving days last time and it was not enough! I didn’t even get around to muck. That was just the wide angle. I could easily spend 14 days + there.
Which dive shop did you go with in Alor?

I have the same situation - tho maybe more time. I have a 7nt LOB booked for Komodo then Alor is likely my next stop. I'll probably do some diving on Bali before Komodo (June 12-18). Everyone says "ALOR ALOR ALOR" so I will make it happen... not booked anything. I know getting there from LBJ is not trivial. (I welcome input). I have a partner for Komodo but will be solo after that.
Alor divers always comes up as recommended, but they are on the opposite side of the channel. Some friends are going to Alami Alor in April - but they tend to stay at nicer places - they go as a group and book the whole place so get better pricing.
I fond a couple older threads on the subject when I was looking into it.

Please keep the thread going with what you decide. I need to start thinking about bookings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom