Setting up gear right.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried the tuck method the first time I had it out. I found that to get it tucked enough to stay put it made the hose to short for me to turn my head left without pulling. In the rec diving that we plan on doing what environment are we going to need to deploy all of the long hose? As it is now there is enough hose that my dive buddy can be too far away to touch. This is also WAY more hose then we used and learned with in class, you were stuck so close to your buddy you could hardly look them in the face.

You should be able to tuck and still turn your head with a 7' hose, I'd look at routing. In a later post I believe you ask about routing with the knife. I'm sure someone else can explain this better than me, but I'll try... with nothing routed anywhere, take your second stage in your RIGHT hand and the hose in your left hand, form an upside down "U" with the hose in front of your face. Now simply move the upside down "U" back and drape the hose back behind your neck. Now, run the hose across your chest and tuck it under the knife strap or pocket that you put on the RIGHT side as discussed a couple of posts ago.

The question I highlighted in bold: Not sure whether you are going to NEED to deploy the entire long hose - but personally I like options :) and in this case you will have them if you want them. You can stay close to buddy if they need support or you can keep a bit more distance if not needed, dependent on circumstance. But you have the option!

My "spg" is my console with compass and computer in it. Where it is now it is close to my body but easy to use at a glance and only needs taken off for proper compass use. In rec diving with consoles where are they normally kept since jacket BC's dont have left side D rings? In OW class they had us routing them though the left pocket and basically ended up exactly where I have it hanging now.

Given that you mentioned you may go down the DIR path, you have gotten a few DIR answers. Regardless of whether you were going to go DIR or not, I'd encourage you to clip off your console using a bolt snap/cave line or similar, to somewhere similar to the location of a left dring on a Hog rig, and here's why.

One reason is that clipping your console across your body (which does make it easier to read) could potentially complicate a rescue situation. It is one more thing for a rescuer to have to figure out how to get off of you. When I took my rescue class it was before my Hog config days, I had my console clipped across my body on a retractable dohicky, and I think my buddy just gave up trying to figure it out after 15-20 seconds and just took my kit off with it on. (EDIT: On more detailed review of your pictures, just realized you are not clipped ACROSS body, rather on shoulder dring on same side - but most people who clip on shoulder d-rings ARE across body so I'll just leave this... agree with TSandM - entanglement hazard with cord as-is).

Secondly, the main benefit of clipping the console across the body (or on shoulder d-ring, period) - is making it easier to read - which increases passive awareness of gas usage but doesn't build habits that support active situational awareness.

And, kudos to you for putting so much thought into your equipment at this stage in the process!

Last edited:
I can visualize the LHS placement of the knife, but I cannot visualize its role in the long-hose routing. Can you elaborate?

1) Take off the buckle and thread the knife sheath onto the waist belt.

2) Re-fit the buckle.

3) Then you don the kit, slide the knife around to the centre (so it's next to the buckle).

4) Route the long hose around underneath the knife and then up and around your neck.

Same as this photo, but under the knife - which is approximately on the centre of your torso.

dir1.jpg

1) Take off the buckle and thread the knife sheath onto the waist belt.

2) Re-fit the buckle.

3) Then you don the kit, slide the knife around to the centre (so it's next to the buckle).

4) Route the long hose around underneath the knife and then up and around your neck.

Same as this photo, but under the knife - which is approximately on the centre of your torso.

dir1.jpg

Got it...thanks for the picture; it really was worth a thousand words.

That is a great link to DIR. I am not shooting for DIR at this time. Is anything I have set up unsafe for rec diving and why? As things are set up now they feel very natural to reach and use.

You are using a backplate and wing with a long and short hose config. I'm not suggesting strict DIR (GUE or UTD), but don't dismiss it outright.:) They strive to keep things simple and safe. There are reasons they setup this way that applies to all diving, not just tech. Make sure your hose routing is correct and backplate properly adjusted and you may find with a seven foot hose you have plenty of hose to stow in you belt or just hook it under a knife sheath as others suggested.

I agree that the two chest rings is redundant and will probably remove one set. They came like the from the maker so I assume there was a reason for them to be set up that way.

Again....more d-rings are not unsafe but again try to keep it simple. The items on the d-ring above may interfere/trap items on the d-ring below and may make it difficult to detach/reattach things when needed. You should be able to finds things easily with your eyes closed.

The flashlight will normally be stowed in the velcro keeper and the shock cord stays tucked right in with it so it is not dangling. What is the advantage of wreck line in this set up?

The line on your spool is stronger but use either one. I have found that having the light close to the d-ring, bolt snap tide tightly to the light base, I can leave it dangling below me when i need both hands. For example....writing on a slate or wetnotes, bagging a lobster, collecting clams, mussels, etc. If the line is too long, this would be difficult to light what ever you need lit. When horizontal, you won't have to detach light from d-ring when using you middle d-ring. Just direct the light were you need it. But I think that is what you were striving for with the longer shock cord attachment being that the d-ring being used looks like it is right next to your ear. Be sure to turn your light on first before detaching from your d-ring.

Good point on the bolt snap for the primary. I had been kinda wondering about that.

This is found on the link I sent you. So please read the page and look at the pictures. DIR isn't just for tech. Keeping it simple will lead to less stressful and safer diving. But if you want to do more advanced diving later, you will have a good foundation.

Once you dial in your gear. Setup the same way for every dive and only make minor changes over a few dives to fine tune.

Nwcid:
Is anything I have set up unsafe for rec diving and why?
Not necessarily. The argument could be made that there are entanglement hazards, with the extra lengths of line on the light, and particularly on the console. But, in reality, MANY recreational divers go in the water with gear rigged like this and come out alive and happy. Personally, I would not, but that is my choice. And, if you were a diver taking your rig into confined spaces, or penetrating shipwrecks with lots of dangling cables and protruding metal just waiting to snag something, etc, I would give a different answer.
Nwcid:
I agree that the two chest rings is redundant and will probably remove one set. They came like the from the maker so I assume there was a reason for them to be set up that way.
No particular reason, other than a number of divers seem to like having A LOT of D-rings on their rig (to which they can clip all kinds of ‘stuff’), and DR is simply catering to what some customers seem to want. As several have mentioned, there is nothing wrong with that (unless you succumb to the temptation of taking your entire dive box along on every dive, clipped to those D-rings). Like Lynne, I suspect you will find over time you don't need them.

Before offering suggestions - or actually echoing several that have already been made, a general comment: Your preferences are just that – YOURS. Others can offer ideas, but ultimately your rig should reflect what you prefer. So, much of what we say should be taken only as ideas, to possibly try. If you are like most divers, you will find over time that your preferences evolve. That doesn’t make your starting preferences ‘wrong’, rather your tastes change as you gain more experience. And, not all experienced divers have the same preferences. For example, Andy made a comment that your AAS IP hose appears to long, and that he prefers a 24” second stage hose for the bungeed alternate. My initial reaction was just the opposite – it appears too short and will feel awkward in your mouth - the shorter hose will pull your head to the right side). But, neither of us are in as good a position as you are, to determine, in water, whether the hose is too long, too short or just right. Using your picture, here are some thoughts (which have nothing to do with whether your rig should be ‘DIR’ or whether there is a maximum / minimum number of D-rings), most of which have been suggested by others: a) consider removing the top D-ring on the right shoulder strap; b) considering removing the D-ring you added on the left shoulder, as well as the (previously) top D-ring on the left side. That leaves you with 2 D-rings on the straps (one on each side), as well as the swivel rings, which can also be used as an attachment point; c) consider adjusting the length of your HP hose, to allow clipping of the console to a left hip/waist D-ring; d) put a knife, as Andy suggested, or some EMT shears, or a firm-back pocket, or simply clip a reasonably heavy wreck reel, on you right waist strap, and route the long hose under it. And, taking D-rings off doesn't involve tearing your equipment apart - it merely involves taking the shoulder straps out of the tri-glide on each slide, and removing D-rings as you wish. Since you have already added one, I suspect you are already familiar with the process.

RIG IDEAS.jpg

Nwcid:
The flashlight will normally be stowed in the velcro keeper and the shock cord stays tucked right in with it so it is not dangling. What is the advantage of wreck line in this set up?
I suspect you are seeing what has become a somewhat standard preference in the diving community, for static line rather than shock cord. Also, as for the light, I would eliminate the long cord, tie the bolt snap directly to the light (see picture)

Back-up light.jpg
and clip it lower, to the D-ring right above the swivel ring, and secure the lower light head with a piece of inner tube place around the shoulder strap (as Andy also suggested). I have found that, in this position you can use the light, still clipped to the D-ring but released from the inner tube, for ~90% of needs, and you can then unclip it for the uncommon situations where you need to position it farther away from your body. In fact, in one of your pictures, the position of the light is essentially ideal. If you connect it with a bolt snap to the lower D-ring, the position would be the same, but the excess cord would be eliminated. The longer cord, static or shock, is an unnecessary entanglement hazard. Shock cord tends to become less elastic over time and with use, whereas static cord does not.

Your rig brings up another interesting issue, regarding use of a console: Most students train in gear with a 3-gauge console. You finish open water and start to buy gear, and a console seems a logical purchase. Other divers, after gaining some experience, tend to move away from a console, possibly using a wrist computer, a wrist compass, and a simple SPG on their HP hose. I would agree with Andy, the console hose length appears to be substantially longer than is needed. Ideally, the console would run down your left side to a D-ring on the waist strap and be clipped off there. The length of HP hose necessary to do that is ~28-30”. The one possible problem with the shorter hose is that it may limit the effective use of the console compass. So, having a longer hose in that case might be helpful, but the position in which you have placed it provides for both a less than streamlined approach (it will dangle when you are in a horizontal position, and entanglement. Some divers clip the longer HP hose console across their body, and there are pros and cons to that, as Kate pointed out. I generally dive with a SPG on a HP hose, clipped to my left waist D-ring, and wrist computers and compass. But, I also have a pool / OW class rig where I have attached a retractor clip to the end of the console, and the distal end clip to a D-ring on the bottom of my BCD on the right side.

Console retractor.jpg
It can be released in two ways – undo the quick release, or unclip it from the D-ring. When I want to look at my gas or depth, I pull the console up, and then let the retractor pull it back into position. But, opinions on retractors also vary (and may be quite strong, either positive or negative).

Attachments

• DRING PIC.jpg
    DRING PIC.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Wow, tons of great info in these posts. Thank you.

I can not remember what AAS stands for but I get that you are talking about my back up reg. In the pic it is hanging funny because the hose is short because I did not have the 1st stage actually hooked to my tank.

For the console I will try shortening it up right to the bolt snap. Since is has all the gauges on it to me it does not make sense (but I am new) to clip it clear down on my left hip if I need to monitor it frequently. If it was just a SPG I fully understand why that is a good place. I believe I will still be clipping it to my left chest D ring. I can see the point of people wanting to put it across them but I like things staying on their own side.

The knife on the belt makes sense and I understand the routing.

I need to get a few more bolt snaps ordered and get some cave line coming too.

I can not remember what AAS stands for
Alternate air source
. . .but I get that you are talking about my back up reg. In the pic it is hanging funny because the hose is short because I did not have the 1st stage actually hooked to my tank.
LOL! That might explain our varying interpretations.
For the console I will try shortening it up right to the bolt snap. Since is has all the gauges on it to me it does not make sense (but I am new) to clip it clear down on my left hip if I need to monitor it frequently. . . . I believe I will still be clipping it to my left chest D ring. I can see the point of people wanting to put it across them but I like things staying on their own side.
In fact, keeping it on your left is definitely preferred, the comments were probably more a reflection on what to do with a 'long-ish' hose. You might be surpised about clipping the console to a waist strap D-ring. It is actually very easy to unclip / re-clip, probably easire than if clipped to a chest D-ring. But, as I said before, you will want to work out what is best for you. You might try it once or twice to decide for yourself.

I will for sure try things in different ways to see what works for us and what doesnt. I just want to do my best to make sure not to do things that are truly unsafe. It is easy to know what is dangerous if you know the dangers. In our case there are many new things so there can easily be dangerous things we dont know about. So I am reading as much as I can. When we do actually get in the water it will be with more experienced folks but even among them there are many opinions.

One of the local guys I have been talking to is a dive team member (very small area that is all volunteer). Many of the things I have been hearing from him are very different then the things I have been reading here. The big one that I got me is "there is really no difference between steel and AL tanks for weighting, steel just costs more". So I am getting as much information as I can from varied sources.

Back
Top Bottom