setting up doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmarinekurt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I acquired 2 63s ALUMINUMS
I want to double use them-my BCD is capable of this
What exactly do I need?

A manifold (Modular Valve Systems by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express), tank bands (Heavy-Duty Double Cylinder Bands and Bolts by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express) and a second first stage reg is the most common setup. Usually people use DIN connections instead of Yoke when diving doubles so if your reg is currently yoke, keep that in mind.

I haven't personally dove double 63's so perhaps somebody else can comment on the buoyancy characteristics of diving them. I'd imagine them being so short would cause a little weirdness.

They're probably not ideal tanks for doubles, but I'm sure there are lots of people with experience using them that can comment.

Technically you don't need the manifold; you can just use bands and configure them as independent doubles. Or you can try them sidemount, which they might be really good for and is the current cool-kids way to dive doubles. But, the standard is an isolation manifold. You might try piranha dive manufacturers; I got a great deal on bands and a manifold from them.

Whatever configuration you're going to need 2 first stages, 2 second stages, 1 inflator hose for a single-baldder BC (I assume that's what you have) another one if you use a drysuit, one SPG if using a manifold, two if independent, and the right length hoses for your configuration.

thanks for the info
explain the side mount method please

I believe that the best way for either way to use doubles are make a specific training, as doubles use includes a lot more than just being able to set them up, there are specific skills needed to control buoyancy, deal with valves, hose routing, gas management, to mention a view, with side mount, as with independent doubles you add to that the need to keep the gas balanced between the 2 tanks.

I believe that the best way for either way to use doubles are make a specific training, as doubles use includes a lot more than just being able to set them up, there are specific skills needed to control buoyancy, deal with valves, hose routing, gas management, to mention a view, with side mount, as with independent doubles you add to that the need to keep the gas balanced between the 2 tanks.

Roger that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom