Setting up doubles with different tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whale Whisperer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone out there have any experience with setting up doubles with two different brand tanks? I have a AL80 Luxfer and a AL80 Catalina. here are the differences that I know of so far:

Luxfer AL80/Catalina AL80

Capacity: 77.4cu ft/77.4cu ft
Service pressure: 3000psi/3000psi
Outer diameter: 7.25"/7.25"
Overall length: 26.1"/25.75"
Empty weight: 31.3 lbs/31.6 lbs
Buoyancy full(Salt): -1.4 lbs/-1.7 lbs
Buoyancy empty(Salt): +4.4/+4.1

or will I have to pick a tank and get another one of the same kind?

Thanks in advance! :crafty:

Yes there will be a manifold, and there is a 5/16" height difference. Might make it a bit tough to ballance the two standing up.

I was also wondering if there's any quirks each tank may have, for example I heard that the Luxfer tanks tend to float bottom end up when they're almost empty. How this could cause a problem in my trim?

cause problem of your trim, double tanks with different weight..

Yes, I have always been told you really really want matched tanks (same brand, same size, same model) when pairing up doubles, or there'll be hell to pay with your trim.

one Luxfer and one Catalina might be a problem.

I have aluminum 40's for deco. I have one Luxfer and 1 Catalina. I carry them slung.

The Luxfer once breathed down a little will ride but up. The Catalina just hangs there.

If the same is true for the larger tanks, you may find them trying to twist you to one side.

Just get another cylinder via craig's list. Why all this monkey biz? If you want doubles you need to be prepared for the cash outlay - otherwise stick to a single. The cost of doubles is actually one of the smaller costs in tech diving - after training, appropriate gases, more regulators and their maintenance, and a drysuit in many cases.

rjack321:
Just get another cylinder via craig's list. Why all this monkey biz? If you want doubles you need to be prepared for the cash outlay - otherwise stick to a single. The cost of doubles is actually one of the smaller costs in tech diving - after training, appropriate gases, more regulators and their maintenance, and a drysuit in many cases.

lol, yea I understand that the cost of doubles is the lesser costs in tech diving. I already have the tanks, so why not use them if they won't cause any major problems? Everything just adds up though so the less I spend without any major comprimises the better. My LDS is going to help me out though and trade a one for one tank to help me out :14: So I'll have 2 Luxfers for my doubles set up :D

Packhorse:
Why dont you keep one for singles diving? Not all dives require doubles.
I have my doubles plus 2 singles plus a pony plus O2 medical.

lol yea your absolutly right, you can never have enough tanks! A friend of mine hooked me up though, I traded my catalina for one of his Luxfers, so I'm sitting pretty for my doubles set up for now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom