Setting up a Perdix 2 with AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone this has been super helpful! Was thinking it was more like Bluetooth pairing.

I have to admit the manual is scaring me a bit with mistakes like this. But I'm confident once it's in my hands I should be able to figure it out before my trip!
Shearwaters are ULTRA easy to figure out (the two-button models, anyway - Teric confused me).

I tried an Oceanic GEO 2 and a Suunto 6 before moving to Shearwater and with only minimal set up before my first scuba trip, I was good-to-go on the Perdix first day in the water with minimal reference to the manual before leaving - didn't take with.

Set your dive mode - air or nitrox, if nitrox set the mix %'age. No need to change back to air, just change the %'age to 21 if you use air. It will give you your MOD.

It turns on when you go in (pressure, not wetness) (though I manually turn it on before a dive to verify tank pressure) and will turn off a short time after you're out of the water.

The automated logbook app for phone/pad is great - you DO have to sync that via Bluetooth settings in the app menu (first time) and I sometimes fumble if it's been several months since diving and uploading, but usually for no more than a couple of minutes before "Oh, yeah! I remember now!"

Shearwaters are ULTRA easy to figure out (the two-button models, anyway - Teric confused me).

I tried an Oceanic GEO 2 and a Suunto 6 before moving to Shearwater and with only minimal set up before my first scuba trip, I was good-to-go on the Perdix first day in the water with minimal reference to the manual before leaving - didn't take with.

Set your dive mode - air or nitrox, if nitrox set the mix %'age. No need to change back to air, just change the %'age to 21 if you use air. It will give you your MOD.

It turns on when you go in (pressure, not wetness) (though I manually turn it on before a dive to verify tank pressure) and will turn off a short time after you're out of the water.

The automated logbook app for phone/pad is great - you DO have to sync that via Bluetooth settings in the app menu (first time) and I sometimes fumble if it's been several months since diving and uploading, but usually for no more than a couple of minutes before "Oh, yeah! I remember now!"
Yeah good point. Syncing to the app or desktop version is half the fun. I really do gain some insights from my gas consumption data/SAC vs work I perceived to be doing at the time. Not hard to sync after the first time setup.

Other hint - besides the "no, no, other left" comment just hanging waiting to be dropped -

Shearwarter makes it easy as they show the command on the side of the screen you would press the button on to select that function. Don't need spend too much time in the manual...

Shearwarter makes it easy as they show the command on the side of the screen you would press the button on to select that function. Don't need spend too much time in the manual...
Nice, good to know!

The single button Mares puck is a head scratcher. Not something fun to try to remember how long to hold that button down while on the boat planning a dive.

You
The single button Mares puck is a head scratcher. Not something fun to try to remember how long to hold that button down while on the boat planning a dive.
You're going to love the Shearwater. One its charms is it's easy to use yet there's plenty of meat to dig in to eventually in the manual or as you do more complicated things.

It arrived! Looking good so far.

First head scratcher... using the elastic straps for my pretty thin wrists is leaving a ton of loose strap, like 7". Seems like that will be annoying and get in the way. Not sure about cutting the straps due to the elastic. Can I cut off excess and melt the ends with a lighter?

First head scratcher... using the elastic straps for my pretty thin wrists is leaving a ton of loose strap, like 7". Seems like that will be annoying and get in the way. Not sure about cutting the straps due to the elastic. Can I cut off excess and melt the ends with a lighter?
Yes, but most of us just tuck them under after they are cinched up.

I held single-edge razor blade with Vise-grip pliers and heated it red hot with an LP torch. Just pushed it through, cutting and sealing in one action. I think a lot cleaner, too. Probably similar to how they get cut at the factory (hot blade, not my tool setup)

I bought a spare pair so if I ever wanted to wear it over a suit I could.

Here is how I "handled" the extra strap length. I also put the straps on opposite of one another. In my mind it added some extra redundancy against an accidental opening.

Attachments

• PXL_20230401_223252032.jpg
    PXL_20230401_223252032.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20230401_223537389.jpg
    PXL_20230401_223537389.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 44

Back
Top Bottom