Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this not available for the Nook?

Peter,

Some years ago I exchanged a series of correspondence with a gentleman by the name Myer or Mayer. At that time the AD was just beginning to be dove by sports divers.

As I recall our correspondence from so many years ago he made a number of dives on the ship, removed considerable artifacts and had acquired the salvage rights to the AD. ( which as we know is an unenforceable joke)

A few years later he was twisted rather severely and could not or would not dive again. Around that time our correspondence dribbled off and we lost contact.

As I recall he resided in Pennsylvania and was a very well known diver and avid AD diver

Do you recall this individual? Do you know how I can contact him?

SDM

Sam,

That would be John Moyer. He went on at least two of the Wahoo trips out to the Doria that I participated in during the 1983-84 timeframe (he had recently moved to the Northeast from Key West).

He is one of the few names from that timeframe I have not heard anything about during my travels this past year. I will ask around and see if I can come up with an email.

Incidentally, it's my understanding that the reason he went to court to obtain the salvage rights was to help ensure a claim to a few larger ticket items, such as the Gambone panels (which he did recover). Of course, the rights in any strict sense were absolutely unenforceable, but I'd be curious so many years after the fact whether he thought his possession of the legal salvage rights made a substantive difference in any of his recovery projects.

Thanks,
Peter

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2013 at 10:28 AM ----------

Sam,

I just sent a PM with John Moyer's email and phone number, although it might be dated. Please let me know if they do not do the trick and I will keep my ears open.

Peter

"Setting the Hook" continues to receive positive critical reviews from the media and most readers.

Number 2 on the Amazon best seller list for Scuba books this morning:
Amazon Best Sellers: best Scuba Diving

Thank you all who have read the book and provided me with feedback!

Peter
Setting the Hook, a Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria
https://www.facebook.com/SettingtheHook?ref=hl

Hi Pete,

Yours is my 3rd "Doria Dive Book" in as many weeks, & though I'm just mid-way thru it, I will confess to it being my favorite read of the three. I appreciate your perspective as a Wahoo crew member, reviewing incidences that I'm familiar with from the previous two books.

I only wish you folks would stop calling your easy access to the guts of the ship "Gimbel's Hole;" - that access point was courtesy of Oceaneering International, who provided the technology & the skilled divers who cut the steel plate. No offence to Mr. Gimbel, but he was simply an observer of the work.

Regards,
DSD

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2013 at 08:16 PM ----------

Voodoogasman, you may relax. I strongly suspect that there a nary a soul here that considers you to be a man of great literary aptitude. Or a sagacious reader. Your diction is a clear marker to the contrary and confirms the inverse correlation between good reading and horrible proficiency in writing. :wink:

That comment is worthy of your avatar! :wink:

Best,
DSD

Hi DSD,

I agree completely: "Ted Hess's hole" would be far more appropriate. I suppose that he who gathers the money for an operation is the one credited with the achievement (not fair or right, but probably just the way it is). I'm glad that you are enjoying the book.

Thanks,
Pete
peter@settingthehook.org
www.settingthehook.org
https://www.facebook.com/SettingtheHook

...I only wish you folks would stop calling your easy access to the guts of the ship "Gimbel's Hole;" - that access point was courtesy of Oceaneering International, who provided the technology & the skilled divers who cut the steel plate. No offence to Mr. Gimbel, but he was simply an observer of the work...

The hole that became known as "Gimbel's Hole" was originally made in 1973 when the Saturation Systems project cut the double-doors off to the First Class Foyer. Hard to believe it was 40 years ago. Gimbal paid Oceaneering to enlarge the hole in order to remove large pieces of debris.

An interesting side note: Saturation Systems had become a manufacturer by then and built two 8' x 20' 8-man living chambers for Oceaneeering in their ASME/PVHO weld shop. Peter Gembel and Bob Hollis, who was also on the Sat Systems project, lived in one of them. The sat diving community was much smaller then.

I think one of the reasons it was originally called Gimbel's Hole was the folly of the whole project. He only got one of the nine safes onboard and only found sludge inside when they cut it open on live TV. It was well known that there wasn't enough in all of the safes put together to pay Oceaneering's fee.

Saturation Systems didn't know the inside had collapsed and spent less than a tenth as much. I guess Gimbel thought he could make it up by selling the TV show.

Attachments

• SkinDiver Jan74 Cover.jpg
    SkinDiver Jan74 Cover.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 424
Akimbo,

Interesting info - thanks!

A small point, but I believe that the Rodocker/DeLucchi Saturation Systems 1973 expedition cut a four square foot hole in the Foyer Deck passenger loading doors, but it wasn't until Gimbel's 1981 expedition that Ted Hess removed both sets of double doors in their entirety.

I do know that as part of the first wave of sport divers to enter the enlarged entry after 1981, we called it Gimbel's hole simply because it was Peter Gimbel's 1981 expedition that made access practical for sport divers (although a few sport divers had previously entered the smaller entry for brief periods, notably Gary Gentile in 1974). Peter Gimbel certainly does deserve much credit for what was learned about the wreck from his repeated visits to the wreck over 25 years. Ted Hess and many others - especially from the 1973 Sat Systems expedition (in addition to R/L, participants included Bob Hollis, John Clark, Bernie Campoli, Tim Kelly, and Jack McKenney) - deserve recognition as well.

Thanks for the post,
Peter

... A small point, but I believe that the Rodocker/DeLucchi Saturation Systems 1973 expedition cut a four square foot hole in the Foyer Deck passenger loading doors, but it wasn't until Gimbel's 1981 expedition that Ted Hess removed both sets of double doors in their entirety…

Nope, both doors were removed. Think about it. It would have taken much longer to cut a 4' square hole than one just large enough for a diver to get inside and burn off the hinges. Actually, the top portion of one door was cut and lifted out.

That may have been around 4 square feet, but that was just for access to the hinges. The cut-out piece was left near the first class entry so that may be why some divers thought that was all that was cut. As I recall, the doors weren't that big -- maybe 6' tall and under 3' wide (each). They were water-tight doors and they kept them small in those days. No hydraulics to open and close them, just crew-power.

The part of the door with a port hole was chosen to cut because it was easier to attach a lift bag to it. Oceaneering would have done the same thing had the doors still been in place in order to inspect the structure to choose the cutting path.

Another reason for confusion may be the illustration that appeared in the February 1974 issue of Skin Diver Magazine that showed the entire door frame cut out. No photos were taken of the removed doors.

The most accurate description of the dive was written by Jack, who was assistant editor of Skin Diver. I think it was the first two-part article they published -- January and February 1974 issues. Jack never saw the doors removed but knew that is what we were doing. I suppose the cut edges in the illustration were more dramatic than showing a frame (door jamb on a ship) without doors.

The doors were off late at night and we got inside the next morning. The seas were up so photographers couldn't get in the water. We discovered the inside bulkheads and ceiling collapsed, aborted the operation, shut the hatch, support divers released us from the wreck, and controlled the ballast tanks during ascent of the habitat.

It was obvious that hundreds of tons of debris would have to be removed, which we concluded would have cost far more than could be salvaged. A hypothesis Gimbel proved about 7 years later.

Attachments

• SkinDiverDoriaIllistration.jpg
    SkinDiverDoriaIllistration.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Akimbo,

Obviously you are correct, as you were there; I stand corrected. I appreciate your clarification of my understanding of the event and for an informative post. I think it's fantastic that we can get real world corrections and updates on Scubaboard from those who were actually involved with a project - thank you!

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom