Set-up and choose and Dive Rite wing !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exposure

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
All,

This question could be strange for some of you, but I can't find any information on that. During my last diving trip, I had the opportunity to try the Rec Wing from Dive Rite. It was just amazing. So now, I try to look on different web site about that wing and I don't know exactly how to set-up one. I think I have to buy the wing itself then a harmness. But there is different models... Any information on that point ? Are there some other stuff to buy in oder to have a full jacket with that wing ?

Thank you
Yvan

Basically you will need, depending on your style of diving/diving needs: a backplate (stainless steel or Aluminium (wing attaches to this), a harness (to attach plate and wing to you), possibly a single tank adapter(if the wing has no "roll control tabs"), a crotch strap(1" or 2", this can help in preventing the tank riding up) and the wing (size dependent on exposure protection and type of tank Al or SS, and weight you require), you will also need two cam bands(threads through plate and holds tank). If you post this on DiveRites forum on this board they will be able to help you with specifics if you choose to buy all from one manufacturer. If you do a search on BP/W (back plate and wing) you will find more in depth information, there are many different brands available, Oxycheq, DSS, DiveRite, Halcyon for example, all make good gear, comes down to personal preference in the end, you can go with one manufacturer or mix and match as many do. Dont rush into any purchases, read up on this and other diving forums, Scubatoys is another good source of info, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions most people on this forum are very helpful. Hope this is of some help. Good luck. Cheers.

DiveGearExpress (Dive Rite Express is now Dive Gear Express) handles the entire DiveRite line of products. They are an excellent supplier.

Just to compare prices, why don't you look at www.deepseasupply.com ? There is configuration page https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs Of the several times I have priced high end components, by the time I got the total, Deep Sea Supply was not just competitive, they were cheaper. The gear and customer support are excellent. I bought a couple of these and some other equivalent BP/Ws and I prefer the DSS for price and quality. I am a huge fan!

But the exact configuration will be very dependent on the kind of diving you intend to do. If you dive in cold water with a lot of weight, a stainless steel backplate is probably the way to go. If you dive in warm water then maybe an aluminum plate. If you want to travel and keep it light, maybe the OxyCheq Ultra Lite Travel Plate would be interesting. Be aware, it is fabric and doesn't provide the same support as a metal plate. DSS has a Kydex plate - very light.

If you start looking at OxyCheq backplates, you might consider Add Helium They have great prices on this stuff. OxyCheq makes a dog-bone shaped stainless steel travel plate. It's pretty light (2# ?) and it provides a lot of support. Their Mach V wing is highly regarded.

Some wings have ribs or blocks to prevent the tank from rolling. These wings work well without an STA (Single Tank Adapter). Other wings don't have this feature. The DSS wing has a rubber V block, the OxyCheq and HOG wings have ribs. The Dive Rite Venture Wing doesn't provide any support and is probably best used with an STA.

If you want to move even more weight to your backplate, DSS has some weight plates that mount to the backplate and put another 8# on your back as opposed to your hips.

Wing lift is a separate issue. I'm not even going to get into it because it is highly variable. I use a 30# lift for cold water diving with a wetsuit. For doubles, you need a lot more lift and for warm water diving perhaps somewhat less. There is a sticky "Ultimate wing lift calculator" at the top of this forum. It is interesting to play with. It might not be the final answer but it does provide insight into how much lift you might need under different conditions.

The best way to settle the wing lift issue is to call Tobin at DSS. He has this down to an art form.

Richard

Now I'm a BP/W diver myself, but if you're not looking to go down that path you do have other options.

The Rec wing will also attach to the TransPac, along with integrated weights, etc. Talk with any dealer and they'll walk you through it. If you decide to go the 'soft' route, you'll often see used TransPacs on sale here. Just attach the wing, and you're good to go.

Yvan,

Can't go wrong with Dive Rite gears. However, do not make the mistake of buying too large of a wing for your need. The Rec wing is a good wing, but if you were to dive with only one tank then it is probably way too big for your needs.

The Dive Rite wing (any Dive Rite wing) is attached to the Transpac soft harness via the tank cam straps. The cam straps weave between the wing and the Transpac harness.

The same wing is attached to a hard backplate (steel or aluminum) via stainless steel "sex" bolts that Dive Rite sell.

Thanks to all of you for these great information. It start to become clear now and you are right, my first choice was a bit wrong. So now, I will think of a set-up for my standard diving at the moment, so for one tank, 3mm wetsuit in a warm water. I really like that idea to look for more information about diving instead of just buy a standard BCD without any question :)

Yvan

Thanks to all of you for these great information. It start to become clear now and you are right, my first choice was a bit wrong. So now, I will think of a set-up for my standard diving at the moment, so for one tank, 3mm wetsuit in a warm water. I really like that idea to look for more information about diving instead of just buy a standard BCD without any question :)

Yvan

Yvan,

Do you want to use the Dive Rite Transpac soft harness or do you want to use the Dive Rite hard back plate in either aluminum or stainless steel? The wing that you would need for your diving can be the Travel Wing in either EXP or 360.

If you are sure you want a BP/W, than the choices are endless.

I dive:
Hammerhead BP/STA
OMS 30lbs wing
Hog Harness
CAM Bands

That is my cold water setup. I use this diving dry, and the BP/STA give me about 12lbs of weight that no longer is needed on my belt.

For Travel/Warm Water I dive a Zeagle Stiletto. I prefer the lightweight all in one setup if I don't need to weight for diving dry.

I've tried a few different BP/W combo's and they all pretty much seem the same to me. Since I chose my BP/W setup ONLY for the weight, I went with the heavy SS BP and STA from Hammerhead, which was also a heck of a deal!

The Transpac is a fine piece of gear and you won't be disappointed when diving it.

I use the Apex WTX Harness which is essentially the same as the the Transpac but is made by Aqualung and has a pocket for the hard plate should diving doubles be on your list.

For a single tank wind, I use the Venture Wing.

Yvan

Probably what you would want is the dive rite travel wing with a steel or aluminum plate, depending on your weight needs, and a simple "hogarthian" harness, plus cam straps. How much weight do you usually use, and do you dive with a steel or aluminum tank?

The steel plate will provide 6lbs (maybe 2.5kg?) of weight, so if you use less than that in your current wetsuit and tank, get the aluminum plate. If you need the weight, the steel plate will probably work better, especially if you're diving with aluminum tanks.

You can get good deals on dive rite stuff from caveadventurers.com or north east scuba supply. I'm sure they both ship to Europe all the time.

Regarding the STA, it is true that the dive rite wing will work a little better with one. Oxycheq makes a nice small 2 piece STA that is reasonably priced.

Another option from caveadventures would be the oxycheq mach V wing with either a dive rite or oxycheq plate.

Good luck, you'll be happy with either of those options. For a single tank, do not get anything bigger than the dive rite travel wing no matter what anybody says, unless you're diving in extremely cold water with a very thick wetsuit, and even then it would be unusual to need more than the travel wing.

Back
Top Bottom