Servicing your reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nen

Registered
Reaction score
We just had our 1-year-/~25-dive-old regs serviced for the first time and wanted to compare the experience with that of others out there. We went to a reputable dive shop (Ocean Enterprises, San Diego), who quoted $55 service charge and estimated $10 in parts, per reg, should be about 130 (who knows even if this is in expected range?), ended up at 155 with new flow control element and flow control filter for one reg, not to mention o-rings that were about a buck a pop. I had that unpleasant Am I being ripped off? feeling that one often gets in a car repair joint and though this would be the best place to ask. (I know a lot of hard core folks will tell me to DIY --would especially cure the loss-of-control feeling!--but it ain't happening, at this point anyway.) They did all the right things--itemized costs, gave us our old parts back--I just wondered what others' experiences with this were...thanks for the input.

What brand regs? Were they purchased in a store with a warranty, or were they an online purchase? Is that two sets of first stage, second stage and octopus?

Go to San Diego Divers supply under the Coronado bridge and ask them what they would have charged. OE is kinda preppy.

$155 for two regs... doesn't sound too bad to me. I expect $100-125 each on Mk10 G250's, but we're not in a very competitive market here.

Dr. Bill

DFC5343:
Go to San Diego Divers supply under the Coronado bridge and ask them what they would have charged. OE is kinda preppy.

(I don't think he really means San Diego Diver's Supply -- SDDS is out by Sports Arena and has been owned by Ocean Enterprises for a few years now. I think he means AquaTech Dive Center.

--Laird

I do mean AquaTech...my bad. So many shops...too little brain.

The "recommended" pricing for service by one manufacturer is $25 per stage (for the math impaired that would be $75 for the first stage, second stage and octo combined.) plus parts which for annual service kits for the first and second stages will run around $20-$25. So anything over a $100 per reg is starting to get on the pricey side.

Locally we charge a total of $35 for labor and then charge just a small mark up for parts rather than the more normal 100% markup. The scuba market here is not real strong as the diving, while good for fresh water, is not in the larger scheme of things much to write home about. Less expensive annual service and an air club that allows cheap air fills at a flat annual fee ($30.00 for singles and $50.00 per family) keeps the divers coming into the shop and keeps them diving. In the end the shop makes more money off equipment sales, and training as far more divers are active in the area than would otherwise be the case.

$55.00 for labor on an annual service anywhere close to salt water sounds like a good price. The initial parts quote was probably a little low if they planned on doing a full annnual service especially on a reg that may not have been used in a while. Depending on the brand, the $1.00 per O-ring thing may not be the shops fault. A buck is sometimes the cheapest price you will find in a parts catalog and can actually be dealer cost for a specialty o-ring that is not commonly replaced.

What regs are they?

I do my own and I can change EVERY O-ring in a first and two seconds for less than fifty cents, all in EPDM too (O2 compatable).

No, that's not a misprint....

Yes, I know that many folks want "factory original" parts. Ok. But if the "authorized source" is charging a buck a piece, they're making 20,000% profit (no, that's not a misprint either) on most of them.

Given that Genesis, you know they have to make a profit, so they're not going to do it for $20.00

If I was a shop I'd be charging $75.00 plus parts for a 1st and 2nd combo.

I don't know what our shop charges.

If ya can't/won't do it yourself, then I guess you're stuck paying what they want.

Even though you might be able to glue ABS and solder copper pipes, are ya gonna plumb your own house?

Nope, you pay the man. Same thing.

That being said, I might not have done it after 25 dives if I was paying for it.
Then again, it's not much in the grand scheme of things.

DeepScuba:
Given that Genesis, you know they have to make a profit, so they're not going to do it for $20.00

If I was a shop I'd be charging $75.00 plus parts for a 1st and 2nd combo.

I have no problem with the labor charges; they're reasonable. The parts, however, are a pure gouge if you're being charged by the O-ring. O-rings are extremely cheap, even in "good" materials.
If ya can't/won't do it yourself, then I guess you're stuck paying what they want.

Even though you might be able to glue ABS and solder copper pipes, are ya gonna plumb your own house?

Nope, you pay the man. Same thing.

I am? Gee, my water heater sprung a leak a couple of weeks ago, and guess what - the torch, pipecutter and other tools came out of the closet. I did not "pay the man."

The replacement heater cost me just over $100 at Lowes. If I had "called the man" that job probably would have run me $300-400, with at least half of that being a pure rape job on the heater itself.
That being said, I might not have done it after 25 dives if I was paying for it.
Then again, it's not much in the grand scheme of things.

The death of a thousand cuts.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom