Servicing Apeks Exhaust Valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll try and explain. First of all, mine isn't the low profile valve. I am not sure what is different for a low profile valve.

1. Take the back nut off. (the one that holds the valve to the suit on the inside of the arm.
2. Remove the three screws that hold the outer ring to the inner guts.
3. Using a small screw driver or something similar turn the inner ring ccw to remove it. This inner ring is what moves up and down as you turn the valve and creates more or less pressure on the outer diaphram and has the large spring seated in it. On second thought, you might not even need to remove the ring but that is what I did and once the ring is out you can carefully clean both the inner and outer diaphrams with running water.
4. Put the outer housing and the diaphram assembly back together and replace the inner ring. Now screw the inner ring all the way cw. Now your valve is in the closed position. Replace the large spring and then put the outer housing back on. You will see small slots or grooves where the inner ring and the out housing fit together. Also, on the outer housing there is a little lip thingie that makes the little click click click noises when you turn you valve. This is also the stop that prevents the valve from making more than one revolution. What you want to do is align the inner ring and the outer housing as close to this stop as possible, but you can't do it too close cause if you turn the valve cw too much it somehow locks there and you can't move it at all. Just align it up using the next available slots.
5. Replace the screws. You most likely won't align here but just use a screw driver or somethink like that and move the inner piece to match up. Screw it down and replace on the suit. I think you might need to re-silicone but I didn't. I am going to see if it leaks on my next dive first.

Hope all of that makes sense. It's really pretty easy. The only way I have tested it so far is just by blowing through it. Before I put it back together it took a good breath to get it to vent. Now it's just slight positive pressure.

Good Luck, and if my directions still don't make sense pm me. I can try to talk you though it on the phone.

Hunter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom