Service manual for mares 28 xr and HR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BjornS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I´m looking for service manuals for Mares 28 xr first stage and Mares HR and VR second stages.

@lowwall

I really wish I could help, but Mares had been able to keep their most recent service manuals from getting to the public.

All I can say is that all their diaphragm first stage from the 22 on are very similar internally, so if you are comfortable servicing regs in general, you can probably figure it out without too much difficulty by reviewing earlier schematics and manuals, including the coldwater kits (e.g. Abyss Navy and CWD kits) at Mares Regulator Service Manuals and Info and being methodical about the disassembly.

Likewise, the second stages are internally very similar. The CR second, for example, appears to be identical to the Prestige/Rover except for the faceplate. They all use the same service kit. But we don't have a manual that covers the versions of the first stage with the external adjustment knob such as the HR and Dual Adj . Likewise we don't have a manual that specifically covers the unusual hose placement on the the VR or Loop.

I really wish I could help, but Mares had been able to keep their most recent service manuals from getting to the public.

All I can say is that all their diaphragm first stage from the 22 on are very similar internally, so if you are comfortable servicing regs in general, you can probably figure it out without too much difficulty by reviewing earlier schematics and manuals, including the coldwater kits (e.g. Abyss Navy and CWD kits) at Mares Regulator Service Manuals and Info and being methodical about the disassembly.

Likewise, the second stages are internally very similar. The CR second, for example, appears to be identical to the Prestige/Rover except for the faceplate. They all use the same service kit. But we don't have a manual that covers the versions of the first stage with the external adjustment knob such as the HR and Dual Adj . Likewise we don't have a manual that specifically covers the unusual hose placement on the the VR or Loop.
Do you know if the xr28 and the x82 are in fact the same regulator exept that the xr28 have the ”dual piston” cwd kit preinstalled and some other cosmetics to look more ”tech”? And for that matter is it the same with the secondstages dual adj. and HR? They do look just the same! I’m able to buy servicekits for x82 and dual adj. online here in europe but not for the xr28 and HR. Will they fit?

While I suspect they are, I do not know if the parts kits are interchangeable. I'd try contacting one of the parts suppliers and see if they can help you out. The lack of information is really frustrating.

One issue for a tech diver would be whether the kits have Viton o-rings. Otherwise you would not want to go over 40% O2. Mares often issues 2 versions of service kits for each reg family, a standard kit and a Viton kit.

There is at least one option for factory kits: DGX Service Kit / Parts - Mares XR Regulators. But of course they are sold out of the 28XR kits.

The part number for all Adj second stage kits is 46201729. DGX's SKU for the HR kit is "XR-46201729". This strongly suggests it's the same kit as Mares has only used numbers to identify its parts in the past.

Hold on, I just found this (see attached PDF). It confirms the following XR second stages all use the same kits as the standard line: DR = Abyss, CR = Rover/Prestige, VR = Loop. The HR is not included, but based on all the above, I would be surprised if it had its own kit instead of the standard ADJ kit.

It's a little less clear for first stages. The 25XR users the 52X/15X kit and the R2SXR uses the R2S kit. But the 75XR has its own kit and the 28XR isn't listed.

Attachments

• Cijene_Ronilacka_tehnologija_-_Regulatri.pdf
    375.5 KB · Views: 153
So I dissasembled the 1:st stage and reassembled. Just cleaning, no new o-rings. See picture. Very neet design. Just the dual piston dry seal system and a large O-ring no diaphragm. Balance chamber look like other mares (mr52 for exampel). Turret assembly under balace chamber, in bottom of the regulator.

Attachments

• 63DC78EC-FF48-4B64-A64B-D73826716A94.jpeg
    63DC78EC-FF48-4B64-A64B-D73826716A94.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 549
While I suspect they are, I do not know if the parts kits are interchangeable. I'd try contacting one of the parts suppliers and see if they can help you out. The lack of information is really frustrating.

One issue for a tech diver would be whether the kits have Viton o-rings. Otherwise you would not want to go over 40% O2. Mares often issues 2 versions of service kits for each reg family, a standard kit and a Viton kit.

There is at least one option for factory kits: DGX Service Kit / Parts - Mares XR Regulators. But of course they are sold out of the 28XR kits.

The part number for all Adj second stage kits is 46201729. DGX's SKU for the HR kit is "XR-46201729". This strongly suggests it's the same kit as Mares has only used numbers to identify its parts in the past.

Hold on, I just found this (see attached PDF). It confirms the following XR second stages all use the same kits as the standard line: DR = Abyss, CR = Rover/Prestige, VR = Loop. The HR is not included, but based on all the above, I would be surprised if it had its own kit instead of the standard ADJ kit.

It's a little less clear for first stages. The 25XR users the 52X/15X kit and the R2SXR uses the R2S kit. But the 75XR has its own kit and the 28XR isn't listed.
Thanks 😀.
As for the HR second I’m going to disasembel and compare the parts from the regulator with what comes in the servicekit for dual adj. I think it will contain everything needed.

So I dissasembled the 1:st stage and reassembled. Just cleaning, no new o-rings. See picture. Very neet design. Just the dual piston dry seal system and a large O-ring no diaphragm. Balance chamber look like other mares (mr52 for exampel). Turret assembly under balace chamber, in bottom of the regulator.
Nice picture. It is very interesting that the new dry kit (Twin Balanced Piston) does away with the primary diaphragm.

Here's a couple of other images for comparison:

82X (no coldwater kit)
82x_diagram.jpg

22 Extreme (old dry cold water kit)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-200347-599.png
    Screenshot_20220103-200347-599.png
    320.9 KB · Views: 324
Nice picture. It is very interesting that the new dry kit (Twin Balanced Piston) does away with the primary diaphragm.

Here's a couple of other images for comparison:

82X (no coldwater kit)
82x_diagram.jpg

22 Extreme (old dry cold water kit)
Yes, indeed.

The 82x is very similar ackording to the exploded view you posted. The main difference seems to be that there is an additional o-ring (red arrow on picture) and no diaphragm. Also lower part of regulator body (blance chamber/turret) was disasembeld with c-spanner, same size as the cap of enviorment seal. The cwd retaining bolt with spring adjusment nut was disasembeld with regular 28mm spanner (same size as the conterpart on mr52 cwd dual piston body). So as for servicekit I will buy kit for the 82x, and hopefully everything will come exept for the additional large o-ring. But that will be for annual service next time.

About O2 cleaning: I have been abel to get hold of viton kit for my mr52, regulators. Onlineshop in europe (spain) sell them. But not for other mares models. Anyway I just use 28xr for regular backmount cylinders. It’s a very heavy first stage, the heavyest I came cross (for exampel more heavy than Apeks dst). Therfore I don’t think it is a good fit for aluminum stage/deco bottles - bottle will be very front heavy, especialy when gas running low in bottle.

Attachments

• D6F7B448-CCEA-44F7-A6F8-761D672EE773.jpeg
    D6F7B448-CCEA-44F7-A6F8-761D672EE773.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 307
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom