Service for HP Swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d^2b

Worse diving through photography
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
swivel.jpg

I want to use the pictured swivel (that I bought in the 1990s) to mount a transmitter to a Dive Rite FT1 first stage (it's pretty cramped with 2LP hoses already there).

It seems to work OK (on land), but I'm concerned about the guts of the swivel after several decades on the shelf. I'm guessing there are some o-rings inside that should probably be replaced. Probably dumb questions:
  1. Does it most likely need service? The o-ring outside was in good shape (although I replaced it anyway). It has never been in the water, but the internal o-rings (assuming they exist), must be getting on. It seems to hold pressure fine on the surface, but a failing HP hose (equivalent) isn't that much fun.
  2. Do I need some specialized tool to remove the ring holding the swivel together? (I want to say cotter pin, but it's obviously not a pin).
  3. Will I need a new "ring of holding things together" after re-assembly?
If it helps, this thing was originally made by National Divers Manufacturing in California, with part number 12238

Looking at [1], it seems like the fastener-I-can't-name might be called an "e-clip"

[1]: OmniSwivel O-Ring Kit for OSI-QDM-YFI

Funny you should ask, I was cleaning my regs in the bathtub (with a pony) and first I thought I saw a hair on the surface; but then I noticed that it’s the tiniest of champagne bubbles (like scale to the size of an ant), coming from one of these
I was just wondering that I should service it/open it for check up
I got mine this March btw

1. Yes, I would worry more about the internal Oring (dynamic, HP) — probably a sh90 with good lubricantion
2. Not really, I mean you need a circlip plier, pretty generic but specific enough
3. Probably not unless it’s in 💩state (really rusty/feels brittle)

HP leaks funny enough are very öow flow (compared to LP), I think why they have that tiny hole in the port itself

Oh I see. The clips without tabs are probably called "c-clips".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom