Serious drysuit question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Jim.

Let me answer your question from a Canuck's perspective. Up here, we get air temperatures in the 100's. But we rarely get water temps above 65-70. So, we simply wear less under our drysuits to compensate when the water is warmer.... however, usually if you duck below the thermocline, temperatures range from a balmy 38F to 50F.

When I dive down south, I always wear a neoprene wetsuit, usually a 3mm farmer john shorty. :crafty:

Hi, Jim. Here in western pa and northern west virginia we have a lake that is as we speak 93 degrees at the surface and 88 at 100 feet. In march it was 53 at surface and 46 below 35 ft with 35 degree air temps. I have an os sysytems hd pro shell suit with the os undergarment system that consists of a fleece thin thing and a heavier liner also fleece but with a goretex type outer shell. I can use either or both. In ginnie springs in fla this year I used both for the first dive and was a little warm. Dropped the thin suit and was comfy with no hood. Two weeks later in wva I used both in the 46 degree water with hood and was very warm after 3 dives. Didn't need a coat between any just my watch cap and the drysuit. I now use the dry for anything up to 75 as at this writing my next level of protection is a polar fleece which is about equal to a 3 mil with alot more stretch and flexibility. but it is a little chilly after multiple dives from 75 -84 degrees or so. My next purchase is going for something for that range of 75 -85 degrees. Most likely a 5 or 5/4 mil jumpsuit. I do not feel the need for a seven since i've got the dry suit and since the polar is equal to a three no need for one of them. I do have a 3/2 shorty that I use for goofing around in the surf in ocean city I could use for layering i guess but have not tried it yet.

Back
Top Bottom