Serious drysuit question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I no this is leaving me open for a multitude of remarks but I just started Dry diving and am wondering at what tmp to change from insulated suit to ? sweat suit or other combinations to wear?

I have an Andys trilam and 200 undies. It is 85 degrees today and the wter is 58 deg. so it will be in undies tonite. I guess i'm curuios as what other people use in summer.

chuckrt

Chuck, WHEN to change undies is as subjective an opinion as what constitutes cold. It's a very personal thing.

Example: Both Pearce & I have DUI 350TLS trilams. In Vortex Springs where the year 'round temp is about 65F I tend to wear bicycle legging, thick socks, a long-sleeved light-weight wicking shirt (the stuff skiers wear) and sometimes a long sleeved fleece sweatshirt over top of that. Pearce wears pretty much the same thing EXCEPT he only dons a long sleeved t-shirt; he doesn't seem to need as much warmpth around his core as I do.

In colder water (50-55F) we may put on lined bicycle leggings and I may switch to a heavier sweatshirt.

Because you can sometimes get a "pinch" or a "squeeze" in the creases of your joints without some cloth over it, we both stick with long sleeved shirts. When I wore my 1/4" neoprene in Canada, I could get away with a short sleeved T-shirt & thin leggings only because you don't get "pinched" in the neoprene.

To summarize, all I can suggest is that you experiment: adding or subtracting clothing or varying the types of layers depending on the water temp. Then you can personalize your undergarment wardrobe to what works for YOU.

~SubMariner~

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking around that temp just curious if others switch then as well. It was 87deg yesterday on top and 53 in tahe water. when I zipped up and went in I thought it was a little cooler but blew it off to the temp difference. When taking off the suit I never zipped the thermal up past my waist!! Good thing I have a hairy chest but it was a great 55min dive anyway.

chuckrt

You'll never want to wear a wetsuit in COLD water again. But you'll still dream of taking a vacation to someplace tropical and diving in nothing but a skinsuit!

(Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread, but it was the closest to my question that search found without starting a whole new one.)

aquanut:
Yo Jimbo,
Don't forget that you can get anything from a lightweight shell to 7mm neoprene for a [drysuit]. All offering varying degrees of insulation value. You can also dress accordingly underneath the suit.

I got a chance to experiment a little with a drysuit at a DUI demo event lately -- didn't really grasp until then that staying cool would be as much or more of a problem than staying warm.

I'm attracted by the idea of being able to vary the undergarment to handle anything from where-I-live (typ. WT 55-65) to where-I-usually-vacation (typ. 69-79), but when I was demo-ing, something became conscious that wasn't before:

In the wetsuit, if you misjudged the WT or thermocline or your personal thermostat today, and you're a little warm, you can vent a little water in and cool off.

In the drysuit, if you misjudged the WT or thermocline or your personal thermostat today, and you're a little warm, you can...? I think you're screwed, and the answer is suffer or thumb -- what am I missing?

(I suppose you could vent more to try to reduce the insulation efficiency, but that assumes you're not already running minimum air just as good practice.)

SubMariner:
Pearce & I have only two suits: a DUI trilam drysuit and a 3mm (1/8") full wetsuit. That's covers just about everything for us.
Yup, here too. Drysuit for everything < 65 degrees, wetsuit for > 70 degrees.. in between depends on the dive. I might pick up a 3/2mm hooded vest for the dives between 65 and 70..

I LOVE wearing that wetsuit too. I just bought some Al80 doubles just so I can wear my wetsuit more often.

JT2:
With water temps in the 80's and air temps in the 100's I personally

Well.....these might be the only conditions that could voluntarily get me into a wetsuit these days. Clearly, you need a shell-suit if it gets that warm.

R..

I live in Miami Beach, Florida, and I dive dry all year round. Right now, the surface temps in the water can be up to 87. The air can be up to 95 or so.

The only time I have ever felt like I was getting overheated was when I also wore a hood in these temps. I expected there to be a thermocline near the bottom, and it was not there. So, I kept having to flush my hood with water to cool off. Other than this, I never get overheated in the water though I almost die on the dive boat before getting into the water.

I prefer to dive dry because I never get chilled no matter how long I stay in the water. You can never tell when a thermocline will be there except for the most shallow dives. Also, I do a lot of deep diving with helium mixes. Long decompression stops in cool water with little activity will quickly make you feel chilled.

I wear 100 gram Andy's ST1000 Thinsulate thermals. Thinsulate keeps much of its insulating capacity even in a flooded suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom