September '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 09/20/05
Dive number: 295
Dive Location: San Diego/Marine Room Canyon
Time: 7:35p
Bottom Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Max Depth: 74ft
Avg Depth: 37ft
Vis: 3-10 shallow but a stellar 30 in the canyon.
Surface Temp: 67F
Temp at depth: 51F average temp for the dive was a chilly 53F
Surface Conditions: knee high surf but flat after that. Easy kick out.

Image gallery is here: http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/terry/album10/092005/

Sean, Simon and ??? ummmmm some other people met at Marine and suited up. No one really cares about the fluff so I will cut right to the meat.

Visibility is stellar right now in the canyon. It was an easy 30ft. It is also cold, really really cold. At 74ft it is 51 degrees. No distinct thermocline. It starts out cold and pretty much stays there. Glad I opted for the dry gloves. Tons of life out tonight. Bat rays, thornbacks, a million octopus every where you turn, Lovely nudibranchs and huge welks. So much stuff around every bend. Oh, and lobster were EVERYWHERE. LEGAL ones. I know I won't find any opening weekend outside the preserve!!! Thanks to Sean and the rest for coming out. Check out the pictures as well.

Terry S.

divinman:
Date: 09/20/05
Dive number: 295
Dive Location: San Diego/Marine Room Canyon...
Image gallery is here: http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/terry/album10/092005/
No one really cares about the fluff so I will cut right to the meat.
Terry S.
Thanks, Terry, for the fun of waking up to your tour of the canyon. Viz looks incredible. "no one cares about the fluff"??? Arrrrgh...just don't twist the knife... and watch for bleeding as you pull it out of my heart :shocked: . Meat without fluff is just a...just a Dragnet report! Some people ain't got no poetry in their souls!

Fluff on!!! (You must have been tired....)
Claudette
Guppy FluffMaster

HBDiveGirl:
Thanks, Terry, for the fun of waking up to your tour of the canyon. Viz looks incredible. "no one cares about the fluff"??? Arrrrgh...just don't twist the knife... and watch for bleeding as you pull it out of my heart :shocked: . Meat without fluff is just a...just a Dragnet report! Some people ain't got no poetry in their souls!

Fluff on!!! (You must have been tired....)
Claudette
Guppy FluffMaster

claudette,
what the heck is OGG, non-silting subsp. ??

scottfiji:
claudette,
That's funny!

I was just about to hit reply and ask the same question before reading to the end of the thread and thought it would be bad form, so I continued reading only to find that you asked the question.

I'll be interested to hear Claudette's answer for this.

Maybe "Out of Gas Gnome, non-silting subspecies". :11:

Christian

Geez, weren't you guys paying attention in medical school? OGG is a DNA repair enzyme: "8-oxoguanine DNA N-glycosylase"

scottfiji:
claudette,
My gear:Tech drysuit, BP/W, bungied compass on Left wrist, computer on Right wrist, PST100 tank, SPG clipped @left hip, V-planner on desktop, hand-signal for "how much deco do you have????".
Next up: 7' long hose/bungied back-up, S-drills, 10W HID cannister light.
Current reading: JJ's DIR book.
Allergies: Divers who roto-till while speeding around.
But.....
Favorite underwater zone: Light-filled guppy-zone between 20 and 70fsw.

Soooo.....
OGG = Over-Geared Guppy, non-silting subspecies... what else?? :D

Rule #1: Have fun.
Rule #2: Dive purdy and safely, then see rule #1.

mccabejc:
Geez, weren't you guys paying attention in medical school? OGG is a DNA repair enzyme: "8-oxoguanine DNA N-glycosylase"
I had so much fun in nursing school.... I forgot to go to med school! Whew!! :eyebrow:

"No more oxoguanine for me, thanks...I'm drivin'!!!"

Date: Sept. 21
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores/Vallecitos
Time: 1:01pm, 3:16pm
Bottom Time: 1hr 4 min, 1 hr 13 min
Max Depth: 77 ft, 64 ft
Vis: (dive 1) 12-15ft shallow, 40+ canyon.(dive 2) 8-12 ft shallow, 30+ ft canyon
Wave height: 1-2 ft, weak.
Temp at depth: 50 F, according to Suunto (which lies), so around 47-48 F
Tide information: high

If you can imagine what it's like to fly like Superman and look down at the Earth, that's how today's dives were in the canyon.. Blue, crystal clear water with an easy 40 ft of vis & no surge in the canyon to stir silt up.. Spectacular!
Both dives were slow picture snapping dives and there certainly wasn't a shortage of photo opportunities out there today- leopard sharks in the shallows, baby horn sharks scattered all over the canyon, octopus, brown shrimp, several varieties of crabs, the sheephead family on Vallecitos Pt., halibut, pipefish, a purple striped jelly, and nudis, nudis, and more nudis! Hermissendas, dendronotus irises, san diego dorids, black dorids, and a new one for me- Flabellina bertschi ( http://slugsite.us/bow/nudwk383.htm ). Watched the progression of 2 dendronotus irises meet up (they were initially about 4 ft apart) and proceed to get "friendly" :11: After feeling like a pervert for invading their "intimate" moment, I left them to their privacy :D .
Hopefully conditions will stay like this for a while- if you have the opportunity to dive LJ now, go do it !!!! You can't get much better than this.

I havent downloaded the computer and need to get to work. Here is the down and dirty.

Visibility on the point was an easy 40ft. Looking up at the surface 80 feet above us, we could see the ripples of the waves and the sun on the sandy bottom. Awesome.

COLD!! 51 degrees

no surge, no surf, no swell

dive time 1 hour 4 minutes

Image Gallery : http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/terry/album10/092205

Lots of large two spot octopus, big sheephead, nudibranchs and more. GET OUT THERE AND DIVE NOW!!!

Terry S.

LaJollaShores_9220506_resize.JPG

LaJollaShores_9220510_resize.JPG

LaJollaShores_9220517_resize.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom