September '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrat:
Thanks for your interest in Terranea Resort and please let me know if you are interested in further information regarding our Ocean Villas and Ocean Casitas for sale. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

wetrat[/I]

Yeah, everybody has $1.9 million just laying around for one of the timeshares.. :D

MissyP:
Yeah, everybody has $1.9 million just laying around for one of the timeshares.. :D

Sheeesh... no kidding! I like how they take the opportunity to sell me on the joint! You could afford one though right Missy? I mean... you're from Carlsbad :14:

wetrat:
Sheeesh... no kidding! I like how they take the opportunity to sell me on the joint! You could afford one though right Missy? I mean... you're from Carlsbad :14:

I better go buy a lottery ticket :D

HBDiveGirl:
In diving, Christian, as in so many wonderful things, it's not necessarily the quantity that makes it worthwhile.... it's the quality, the companions, and the memories. Numbers?? We don't need no stinkin' numbers! Numbers only take precedence when nothing else does... the last resort in the search for meaning.

Welcome back into the pool on the anniversary of your renaissance...your re-birth. Happy Birth-Day! Life begins in salt-water and pressure. Dive on with joy everlasting.
It was great to see you yesterday,
Claudette
Hi Claudette,

Nicely put! I'll definitely take quality over quantity and did have some great quality dives with quality companions and wonderful memories.

It's not like I only got 10 dives in last year, so if your going to pick a number out of a hat, that's a pretty good one! :wink:

I just took my regs in for service and will have them back on Sept. 29th. I look forward to diving again soon on the Oct. 1st Mo2vation Boat Dive followed the next week by the Wrinkles Dive and BBQ in Laguna Beach on Oct. 8.

It was nice running into you on Saturday and I hope to see you again soon!

Christian

wetrat:
Somehow I think if you won the lottery, a timeshare in PV would not be a priority! Quit work to dive in Micronesia maybe?
Actually these are NOT time shares. You own the property as the only owner. It is just that due to the Costal Commission rules, you may only live in your property 60 days (total) a year and must have a rental plan for the rest of the year (properties near PCH get 90 days a year). The Terranea Resort will rent it out or you can hire your own company. By the way, the properties are sold furnished. This is resort living and the properties are maintained (furniture and all) by the resort. Bet there is a hefty homeowners fee too, but that was not discussed. The properties are desigend so that you can divide up the villa into three one bedroom units with their own entrance. Attached is a map of the proposed resort. We get parking (a little longer walk it looks like), sidewalks, restrooms and showers.
See Terranea Resort (AKA old Marineland, Long Point) on http://www.sandeaters.org dive sites for more information about this lovely site.

Construction will begin in April (but they are doing some clearing now) and be done in 2008. Access is, per the Costal Commssion, suppose to be available during construction and the Terranea Resort people confirmed that during the open house for us real estate agents. We should anticipate short closures during consruction of the walkways to the beach.

Want to buy your resort property? It is only $10,000 to get on the list of potential buyers so you can buy in October 2005.

Surf was 1 to 2 ft and past the break was calm and an easy kick out.
Visibility was a murky 5 shallow and clear 25 easily at 60ft.
Temp on the top: 66f
temp at depth 54f
Some surge shallow and no surge deep
Time in 0700
Dive time 45 minutes
Tide was out

Images are here: http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/terry/album10/091905/

Cabezon, hornsharks, slugs and snails. Great way to start the day.

Terry S.

Vallecetos9190501_resize.jpg

Vallecetos9190504_resize.jpg

Vallecetos9190513_resize.jpg

Vallecetos9190517_resize.jpg

pasley:
Want to buy your resort property?

Well.. I was thinking about buying the Great Escape (which is for sale), but now I guess I'll go with the Terranea thing after all. :wink: Thanks for the info Mel. I guess we'd better get back to dive reports...

wetrat:
MaxBottomtime,
... I spoke with a diver earlier this week and he said the parking lot will be positioned in roughly the same area he currently uses. In addition, we will also provide pathways to the beach and a public bathroom/shower area....David Rockey,Terranea Resort [/I]
Daivd is a nice guy, freedives and is certified. I reckon the diver he refers to would be me as we spent about 30 minutes last week discussing the development and my concerns as both a diver and real estate broker.

Speaking of dive reports here is mine for the day.

Dive buddy called early and said, "must have been somthing I ate". Oh well, forecast for tomorrow on North West beaches is 0-1 foot waves. Today was 1-1 foot waves.

Awesome Snorkel/Freedive Report

date: sunday morning, 8AM-12noon
vis: 30-40ft
temp: mid-high 60's
waves: none
max depth: 25ft (free diving)

Snorkeling at Catalina rivaled or exceeded some of my best dives. the visibility was great, the water crystal clear, and the amount of fish unbelieveable.

I camped for the weekend at Emerald bay (near parson's landing, about a 7 mile hike from two harbors). I took out a kayak with friends, and we kayaked and snorkeled for 4 hours, 90% of the time was snorkeling.

Huge schools of fish enveloped me over and over again. a strong current around an island of rock meant the schools were here to stay, feeding in the currents. jacksmelt, topsmelt, pacific sardine, and a 4th species of baitfish swirled around us countless times.

countless times I was eyeball to eyeball with garibaldi, schools of kelp perch, halfmoons, zebra perch, schools of opaleye, large schools of baby blacksmith and many giant kelpfish. They were all breathtaking, close-up, and not afraid because I had no bubbles.

I witnessed many senorita "cleaning stations" for the first time, watching schools of opaleye, garibaldi and smelt get cleaned by individual senoritas.

The zebraperch were beautiful, they look like a cross between a black perch and a halfmoon. they were quite skittish.

the sundiver and great escape were both parked near some of my snorkeling spots on saturday and sunday, I'm sure they had great dives.

The highlight was swimming with harbor seals, in 2 different spots a pair of harbor seals swam and played with us in the water, slightly shy but curious.

During one snorkel I also caught an octopus. I saw him in about 12-15ft of water in the open. He wasn't expecting an attack from above, and I swooped down, captured him carefully in my hands trying not to injure him at all, and brought him up to show the others, keeping him submerged. He attached on to me for a minute, inked me several times, thanked me for not spearing or eating him, and swam away.

Freediving through schools of baitfish was also a breathetaking experience, especially since we were in their "feeding" area in strong currents, so they weren't going anywhere.

We spent most of our snorkeling time between emerald bay and parsons landing. it was time well spent.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom