Sept, Oct, Nov = cheaper flights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
Just looking at Singapore Air site.

During Sept, Oct, and Nov, SFO <-> SIN = ~$700-$800.

This seems really low. I thought typical flights were $1500 each.

Is this the wrong time of year to come? There's various things to do out there. We were thinking of orangutuans in Kalimantan...

Singapore Air seasonal fares (higher typically April thru early Sept from West Coast of the US) really have nothing to do with diving or other activities.

Check the rules section of the ticket to see when it is low season or high season.
For example, a few years ago, I saved several hundred dollars by leaving on March 30, if I had left a few days later I would have paid more, I left in low season and came back in high season but got the low season rate for both outbound and return flights.

Just looking at Singapore Air site.

During Sept, Oct, and Nov, SFO <-> SIN = ~$700-$800.

This seems really low. I thought typical flights were $1500 each.

Is this the wrong time of year to come? There's various things to do out there. We were thinking of orangutuans in Kalimantan...

Part of it is probably seasonal, but fares have definitely dropped
in just the last few weeks. R/T to Jakarta from SFO was USD$950
on SQ when my buddies bought them a month ago; it's ~USD$700 now.
Eva and Cathay has dropped theirs from $1200 to ~$1000.

I've also been keeping an eye on SFO <-> DPS tickets around Xmas.
They've dropped from $2500 to $1400. Maybe I can afford to bring the
family this time :D

I was comparing to SFO <-> DPS I bought last year between Christmas and New Years, returning mid January, which were $1500. I expected some difference but not 50+% off. Two can now go for the price of one!

I was just wondering whether this was typical pricing or a sale which will go away and whether this is monsoon time which is why it's low season. Seems to be typical. That's some swing.

There is a web site called YAPTA.com which will allow you to track the fares of many domestic (USA) flights and some International from/to the US (including Singapore Airlines), Yapta will track the ups and down of a specific future flight as the fare changes and send you an email alert when it drops by a certain amount (you specify). You can also track the fare changes in flights you have purchased and in some cases you can ask the airlines for a credit for use on future flights if the cost of the ticket goes down signigiciantly since you purchased it. Every airlines has different regulations on this, some charge a fee, some don't. But in any case you must ASK, the airlines will not automatically credit you when the fare goes down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom