Separated from group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With as many dives through swim throughs that I've done in Cozumel, I've only seen one way in and 1 way out, and no currents... so unless someone kicked up sand or it was pitch black, I don't know how you would lose the person in front of you.

Most of the time, I swim around the swim through... not worth the effort of dealing with the cluster you know what... my wife and I have been rewarded several times that way. Last year we were the only ones to see an eagle ray bc we didn't do the swim through.

Good for you for expressing your concerns. Welcome to Cozumel.

You are a certified trained diver, you were in no immediate danger, had no failures, presumably had enough gas and was together with two other trained divers. Why would you be scared?

You can always ask yourself - what would the presence of a divemaster change and use that to see if it's a problem you could fix. Outside of not having a babysitter DM around, it could be:
  • Carry a DSMB so that you can safely ascend when needed & know how to deploy it at depth
  • Agree what to do in case of separation (I would go with: deploy a DSMB so that the boat can follow and continue diving :wink: )
If you feel that you would not dive the site on your own (with a buddy) but without the safety net of a DM, you were on a "trust me" dive which is not the safest thing to do...

A separation like that does happen, and there are things you can do.

First of all, in a place like Cozumel, you should always carry a SMB and other signaling devices. If you get separated and are on the surface, you want to be seen.

Next, your idea of ascending a bit in hope of seeing bubbles is a good idea. You will frequently find your group that way.

Finally the standard rule for this in all scuba is to search for one minute and then head for the surface. In Cozumel, you will almost always be in contact with your boat as soon as you do. The boat is following the group's bubbles. If you wait too long before ascending, you might become separated enough to have them miss you. I once had the misfortune in Cozumel of being paired with a diver who was very much an air hog, and I had to ascend very early with him. We reached the surface, and as he was being picked up, I looked down, easily saw my group, and headed back down to join them.

OP post was removed? FWIW, there are some swim-thru's in Cozumel that offer two ways to go once you're into the swim thru. If the person in front of you is too far in front (i.e., if you stopped to look at something), or if the way gets silted up, it's possible you'll reach a fork and not know which way to go.

I don't see any post??!!
Perhaps they realized they were not going to get the sympathy they believed they were entitled to. Only 1 message in their history; 'I joined SB so I could complain AND get sympathy' is generally not a winning strategy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom