separate octopus vs. bcd inflator/second stage combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now with pandemic, we can no longer teach to share the main second, buy ONLY the octopus, so the use of integrated devices is (or should be) not recommended.

However, if (and this is an if), people are vaccinated, will the practice of donating the primary return? As this is not my primary source of income, I'm waiting to see how things work out.

In a real life OOA situation, my last concern is my dive buddy's germs. But I understand the point.

Now with pandemic, we can no longer teach to share the main second, buy ONLY the octopus, so the use of integrated devices is (or should be) not recommended.

I have never been fond of the integrated units; and, as an side, all of the commercial diving outfits, for which I have worked, over the years, have always forbade their use (they've been seen as a "weak link" and largely undependable) -- long before the covidiocy ever hit . . .

However, if (and this is an if), people are vaccinated, will the practice of donating the primary return? As this is not my primary source of income, I'm waiting to see how things work out.

Nobody knows how the life is going to be after this pandemic even with a vaccine. Every industry (scuba industry included) is reacting as things happen.

In a real life OOA situation, my last concern is my dive buddy's germs. But I understand the point.

Sure, but we cannot say that in a dive course. Consider that we must appear combed in the photo (as we say here). To return from lockdown we, as an industry, must present protocols to open that show that we comply with the new rules.
In a dive course we teach with practice in the pool. In the pool we must teach to share the octopus. We also teach that the diver must act as he practiced, and avoid too much thinking. So, in a real OOH situation the diver should act as he learned and practiced in the pool.

I have never been fond of the integrated units; and, as an side, all of the commercial diving outfits, for which I have worked, over the years, have always forbade their use (they've been seen as a "weak link" and largely undependable) -- long before the covidiocy ever hit . . .
Do you have any data to support your premise that an integrated 2nd is the weak link and undependable?

Do you have any data to support your premise that an integrated 2nd is the weak link and undependable?

None whatsoever -- we were simply not allowed to use them, for any commercial use. Only a safe second on a conventional hose, or a pony bottle made the approved equipment lists, which also, for that matter, forbade air-integrated computers without an additional conventional SPG; or, any regulators, fitted with transmitters . . .

This subject has been discussed ad nauseam as all who’ve been here a while are aware. And those who have looked at the other posts on this subject will see that it’s best to stay out if sensitive about others disagreeing with you. It’s right up there with split fins in my opinion.

But who doesn’t like :deadhorse:so let’s keep this going!

I was curious where the participants in this thread stand, so I counted the "votes":
11 members have chimed in to indicate they prefer the air mcdoodle and,
20 have indicated that it’s a bad idea more or less.

Disclaimers:
*There is nothing scientific about my analysis.
*It was assumed that people with less than 2000 dives can think intelligently so they were counted.
*No objective evidence was reported that proves "you will die" from using the air2.
*Air mcdoodle users are wrong (lighten up, I’m just playing - put this in to see if anyone is still reading my post)

Happy holidays everyone.
:sleigh::newyear:

As for your question about the "hose dump", if you are referring to the cable pull dump on the bcd shoulder, you cannot use that while breathing from the reg except for the Aqualung model with a split linkage and the ability to pull on the hose center

The Oceanic also has the split linkage, and mine was from around 2000. It may depend on when it was made, what features are on a particular brand.

To the OP first comment, it was before this nightmare pandemic. Now with, and after, the pandemic, thing are changing.

I can think of many contagious diseases other than this "chinese wuhan virus".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom