separate octopus vs. bcd inflator/second stage combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was tempted with the Scuba pro Air2 system.

But the way I decided to manage my air system means I need an octopus.

I have decided that my primary is mine and will remain as my only source during a partner's OOA situation.

My primary is on a bungee around my neck. This ascertains that if it gets knocked out of my mouth from someone's fin, it cannot go too far before I can place it back in my mouth.
This bungee also prevents an OOA diver from yanking my primary.
If for some reason an OOA diver decided to go for my primary source, instead of my visibly yellow octopus, that won't work for them.
My octopus that is on a quick-release clasp in my golden triangle and provide it.
As the primary will most likely richochet back and by then I'd have replaced it in my mouth with my left hand while giving them my octopus.

I know a lot of divers have their octopus on a bungee and their primary in free-hold.
But if an OOA diver goes into a panic, the last thing I want is for me to swallow water by mistake and start to choke.
Because you then have an OOA diver and someone choking.

Someone needs to be in control in these situations. And by having a source of air on me, I can remain in control and assist an OOA diver.

I strive to honor the Chairman’s founding philosophy of “dive and let dive”. I readily admit that I sometimes fail (and probably more than I’d like to admit).

I think integrated regulators are primarily a recreational thing. If you like an Air2, Octo-Z or any other brand’s model name, dive on. I think as long as one does action-oriented rehearsals on dry land or the back of the boat, then the chances of survival dramatically increase. Internet posts written in a hypothetical voice and wishful, self-consoling thinking on the back of the boat don’t count. Rehearsals should be action-oriented and iterative...first with words and then without words to replicate the conditions under which the emergency is going to happen. Good rehearsals reinforce best practices and uncover problems so the team can make appropriate adjustments.

From my water column, the divers I consider expert and whose skills I strive to emulate don’t dive integrated regulators. LH primary and SH on a necklace is the standard. The chances of me finding an Air2 two kilometers deep in a multi-stage, DPV-supported cave dive or on a science-supported artifact recovery dive at normoxic or hypoxic depths are pretty slim.

But if I get on a boat and my insta-buddy has an integrated regulator, I’m not going to freak out. I’m just going to go through some real checks and rehearsals with him to figure out where we have vulnerabilities and deficiencies.

Time to kill...waiting on the turkey...Merry Christmas to everyone !

I have a 43" primary hose that routes under my right arm to a 70 degree fitting. If I go to the necklace backup, I assume a 22" flex hose over my right shoulder to the necklace would be adequate? Do you guys think the 43" primary would be long enough to donate to an OOA diver, assuming I move it back over my shoulder to hand it off? This would be for open water dives...

I have a 43" primary hose that routes under my right arm to a 70 degree fitting. If I go to the necklace backup, I assume a 22" flex hose over my right shoulder to the necklace would be adequate? Do you guys think the 43" primary would be long enough to donate to an OOA diver, assuming I move it back over my shoulder to hand it off? This would be for open water dives...

Should be fine. Recreational setups typically sell with a 36" for octo. Those who primary donate usually have roughly 40". 43" sounds about right. You can try it next time while on your safety stop.

Since we are in a covid world. The other person may "try" via putting it next to their mouth and just slightly purging it a few times.

If for some reason an OOA diver decided to go for my primary source, instead of my visibly yellow octopus, that won't work for them.

It may not work for you either. If the reg does not break away and the OOA diver has control of it, you may not be able to use your alternate because everything is happening right in your face. Something to think about.

I was tempted with the Scuba pro Air2 system.

But the way I decided to manage my air system means I need an octopus.

I have decided that my primary is mine and will remain as my only source during a partner's OOA situation.

My primary is on a bungee around my neck. This ascertains that if it gets knocked out of my mouth from someone's fin, it cannot go too far before I can place it back in my mouth.
My octopus that is on a quick-release clasp in my golden triangle and provide it.
As the primary will most likely richochet back and by then I'd have replaced it in my mouth with my left hand while giving them my octopus.

I know a lot of divers have their octopus on a bungee and their primary in free-hold.
But if an OOA diver goes into a panic, the last thing I want is for me to swallow water by mistake and start to choke.
Because you then have an OOA diver and someone choking.

Someone needs to be in control in these situations. And by having a source of air on me, I can remain in control and assist an OOA diver.
If you start choking when removing your primary you might want to reconsider scuba diving.

For recreational diving, as long as you're not using split fins with your Air 2 you'll be fine. Split fins and an Air 2 you're going to die. Split fins, Air 2, and Spare Air, well, you're already dead.

I actually like the Air 2. It dosen't breath like a G250 but it's a solid simple design. I have done entire dives on them and they worked ok. Not great but I've done dives on worse primary rental regs. Keep them clean and serviced and they work.

A lot of people are pushing the limits of what used to be called "recreational" diving to borderline "tech" dives and recreational gear dosen't meet the standard for the tech guys/dives. It would be like trying to do staged deco dives with a Seaquest Explorer BC. It's just the wrong tool for the job. Same thing with the Air 2, it has it's place. If you've taken a good look at the dives you do and maybe the people you do them with, and the combo inflator/alternate fits within what you need, dive away and enjoy. If you find that you're edging toward the more technical side of the spectrum, maybe it's time to reevaluate your gear choices.

They are streamlined though. Only 2 hoses and a transmitter on your first stage and an AI wrist computer and you're good to go. (for certain types of dives)

Like I said, I dive an Air 2 sometimes and I've only died twice.

Enjoy your dives.

I actually like the Air 2. It dosen't breath like a G250 but it's a solid simple design. I have done entire dives on them and they worked ok. Not great but I've done dives on worse primary rental regs. Keep them clean and serviced and they work.
That's the real issue here, people carry all sorts of kit: octo, inflator/octo and/or pony cylinder.

One thing that rarely happens is practising using them once initial training is out the way.

Back
Top Bottom