Sensors: which gas shall I have in the loop when not in use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Agro you need to find the time to take it apart at the end of the day. It takes 10 minutes, prioritize it.

Also, no the cells are not designed for humid environments. Yes they have membranes on them so they function in humid environments but these are not "sealed" electronic devices and the boards in them are fully exposed. Sure they can monitor high humidity environments but the cells themselves are designed for medical applications where they are in "normal" atmospheric conditions and are not designed for what we do.
Again, PLEASE take the time to disassemble the unit and let it dry. All you have to do is pop the loop off the head and pop the head off the can. You can wait for full disassembly until later but you really do need to let the head dry out as soon as you get home.

You really need to work on your knowledge about CCRs and their components, Agro.
Something to start with:

There you will actually read, that storing the cells in an inert gas (like N2 or He) is not a good idea.
Kevin Gurr was the producer or VR3, this lousy divecomputer which very often failed. His company Delta P went bankrupt. Not my favourite author....

@Agro you need to find the time to take it apart at the end of the day. It takes 10 minutes, prioritize it.

Also, no the cells are not designed for humid environments. Yes they have membranes on them so they function in humid environments but these are not "sealed" electronic devices and the boards in them are fully exposed. Sure they can monitor high humidity environments but the cells themselves are designed for medical applications where they are in "normal" atmospheric conditions and are not designed for what we do.
Again, PLEASE take the time to disassemble the unit and let it dry. All you have to do is pop the loop off the head and pop the head off the can. You can wait for full disassembly until later but you really do need to let the head dry out as soon as you get home.
On a Liberty sidemount it takes more than 10 min. But OK, if you tbone say so, I will do so in future. If it does not help it does no dammage.

Other idea: I could blow some air into the loop for several hours, would this dry the loop without taking it apart? Just in case I have no time.

I wouldn't worry about purging with pure He or Ar, He especially since that's just a waste of money,

It is not unreasonable to store sensors in a small container and purge with pure Nitrogen. It is probably not worth it for a month but longer pencils out. No need for an expansive gas like Argon or Helium. We sometimes stored the large numbers of cells on sat systems in N2 when the DSV went into the yard or off contract.

Anyway I know that German military divers do desinfecton every 6 days only,

Disinfection isn't the problem, letting it dry is the problem.

It is worth noting that growing a fungus farm in the loop, or any other dive gear, is much faster in warmer climates. The rate can change 3-5x between the tropics and very cold environments. Depending on the design, getting the bags (counterlungs) dried out in the tropics can be difficult without actively blowing air through them.

They are not made for humide gas.

True, but diving bells are very humid 24/7 for months and the cell life is not terribly different than in the deck chambers, unless they are accidently sprayed down with hot salt water (it happens). Deck chambers are humidity controlled and temperatures are maintained in the 90°F/32°C range in both. Of course the percentage of Oxygen is very low.

True, but diving bells are very humid 24/7 for months and the cell life is not terribly different than in the deck chambers, unless they are accidently sprayed down with hot salt water (it happens). Deck chambers are humidity controlled and temperatures are maintained in the 90°F/32°C range in both. Of course the percentage of Oxygen is very low.
Interessting, thank you

On a Liberty sidemount it takes more than 10 min. But OK, if you tbone say so, I will do so in future. If it does not help it does no dammage.

Other idea: I could blow some air into the loop for several hours, would this dry the loop without taking it apart? Just in case I have no time.
You need to make the time, if you're going to commit to the rebreather you need to commit the extra time to take care of it properly so it takes care of you properly.

Also, I will say this. Divesoft has deemed drying the head important enough that they sell a fan that is designed to connect to the bottom of the head to dry the cells and the inside of the head out. You don't need this specific part and if you're halfway decent with 3d modeling you can 3d print the adapter and use a standard computer fan instead of the $100 part, but the important part of that is you need to break the unit apart ideally while it is still warm before all of the moisture condenses.

What I typically do at the dive site is turn the unit off and dil flush which gets most of the humid air out of the loop and then there is usually a bit less condensation when I get back to the house and can break it down the rest of the way.

You need to make the time, if you're going to commit to the rebreather you need to commit the extra time to take care of it properly so it takes care of you properly.

Also, I will say this. Divesoft has deemed drying the head important enough that they sell a fan that is designed to connect to the bottom of the head to dry the cells and the inside of the head out. You don't need this specific part and if you're halfway decent with 3d modeling you can 3d print the adapter and use a standard computer fan instead of the $100 part, but the important part of that is you need to break the unit apart ideally while it is still warm before all of the moisture condenses.

What I typically do at the dive site is turn the unit off and dil flush which gets most of the humid air out of the loop and then there is usually a bit less condensation when I get back to the house and can break it down the rest of the way.
I have this Divesoft fan and I use it. But sometimes a few days later.

Akimbo's statement tells me drying the cells does not have to be done immediately, at least that's my reading. Tbone's statement says the oposite. Well, drying immediately is probalby no mistake. If it helps? Anyway I am thinking about the idea of blowing some air through the loop. Just like the fan but without disassembly. I could unscrew the O2 hoose, add an air hose and blow some air into the loop for 12 hrs. What do you think about it?

Back
Top Bottom