semi drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
So who makes these and are they warmer than the normal 7mm wetsuits you see in stores? And if they are better, then how come there isn't much talk about them?
Much more comfortable, much warmer, much more expensive. They can not be manufactured in bulk, custom only. A lot of hand work, skilled glueing (requires repirator), more maintenance, American ruber (Rubatex): much more expensive.

Brandnew2Scuba:
I don't know why, but I just seem to have no interest in a dry suit. Diving without getting wet is like drinking a fine bottle of wine while holding your nose closed. I'm in canada and I say cold or not, you gotta get wet.

We understand.

I felt that way, too, until I owned a dry suit.

Now rather than dive dry only when it's too cold to dive wet, I dive dry whenever it is not too hot to dive dry! Everything is better!--comfort during as well as after the dive, control of trim and buoyancy, fewer items to pack, one set of insulation that provides comfort in a very wide range of water temps, and strip out of the gear and go directly to dinner without feeling the need to shower and hang up all that p-soaked neoprene to (maybe) dry overnight . . . and perhaps the best part: not dreading putting on a cold soggy suit for the second day of diving!

theskull

I dive dry most of the time, I'm glad my LDS convinced me to switch. There simply is no comparison.

I dive with guys in Semi-drys during the Winter and after one dive in the mid 30's they're ready to pack it in. I'm still fit to dive yet can't because I've got no buddy because they're too cold.

Drysuits aren't always that expensive in the long run.

GN-231N may still be made in the US, after checking I'm not completely sure of the status after 2004. Rubatex's web site says:

Beginning under new management in late 2004, we are an independently held corporation, committed to delivering traditional quality products along with innovations that challenge the industry. Our sister company Sedo Chemicals Neoprene GmbH in Germany compliments our current product lines with a variety of neoprene products.

In any case, more expensive than the chemically blown, asian rubber.

Thalassamania:
GN-231N may still be made in the US, after checking I'm not completely sure of the status after 2004. Rubatex's web site says:

In any case, more expensive than the chemically blown, asian rubber.

Rubatex also has a significantly better compression factor than the other neoprene. In other words, at depth it compresses a lot less than the other neoprenes and thus keeps you warmer when comparing suts of comparable thickness.

ronbeau:
Rubatex also has a significantly better compression factor than the other neoprene. In other words, at depth it compresses a lot less than the other neoprenes and thus keeps you warmer when comparing suts of comparable thickness.
And it lasts a lot longer. I've had a Rubatex suit last for more than ten years. My current suit is six years old and going strong. My foamed neoprene drysuit is also made of Rubatex it has the heavy nyon (I forget the correct term) on the outside and lycra on the inside. Inside dries in a flash.

I spent years diving a Deep Heat (Connelly) semi dry. It was basically a neoprene dry suit with no inflator. It would do probably 75-80 per cent of what a similar dry suit would do. It had good seals at the neck, wrist and ankles.

I resisted going dry for a long time because I perceived dry suits to be more management intensive and as using more air. Of course, now I'm hooked and I dive dry even in milder environments. It's nice to remove your suit after a dive and be dry.

*Floater*:
So who makes these and are they warmer than the normal 7mm wetsuits you see in stores? And if they are better, then how come there isn't much talk about them?
They do. But they're expensive. They're called Henderson Insta-Dry.

I wouldn't want to dive in water below about 50 F in my Mares Isotherm. But it's great down to 50 or so. One point of discussion missing from this thread is the extra drag caused by drysuits. They really slow you down compared to semidry. I come out of the water dry from my elbows to my calves. Warm, too, unless I go very deep. They the drysuit inflation would be nice to have to put some air in the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom